cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Highlighted
Md. Khairul Hasan S Member Since: Nov 13, 2010
641 of 1,393
Approx. for last two & half month, I have been bidding continuously but till now I've not got any job. I'm going to be disappointed & frustrated day by day. But I console myself saying that thousands of people from all over the world have done this, so I've also to do. I think I need a little more directions. Please help me to get jobs immediately. I'm in a great crisis. I'm badly in need of jobs. I will remain grateful to him/her for forever if anyone help me giving me some directions to get jobs.
Highlighted
Naomi N Member Since: Dec 14, 2008
642 of 1,393
Hi Md. I like your profile. Of course, that's just my opinion and I can't speak for everyone. But regarding your profile itself there were only a couple of things that I noted that you might be able to improve on. 1. Your Overview. [quote]First of all, I want to prove myself as a consistent, full of professional attitude, qualified , patient, flexible, responsible, hardworking, proactive,highly organized and best service provider freelance contractor on this special site.[/quote] You start off with "First of all" but there was no "second", "third", or "fourth" of all Smiley Happy If this is your only sentence, get rid of "First of all" because it makes it look incomplete - like you forgot to add your other points. Also, I would expand on this. You haven't really convinced me as to why I should hire you over anyone else. Everyone wants to be "the best" - or at least everyone says that they do. So really, this overview looks a lot like everyone else's. Introduce yourself, use your overview as your virtual handshake. Make the employer see you as a person and you will stand out more. 2. Your tests. You have a lot of tests, but the scores are really iffy. Maybe it was just a bad day or maybe you need to brush up on your skills, there's no way for any of us to know but you. So, since either way it will be at least 30 days before you can retake those tests to raise the score, hide them for now. There's no need (or benefit) to showing people that you had a bad day. As a general rule of thumb, anything below either a 4.0 (score) or below 80% (percentile) should be hidden. Then you can retake the tests and as you score higher on them, start showing them off again. Meanwhile, you can also start looking into some other tests that relate to your fields of choice. There are several (roughly 20 or so) tests for MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access that would really help you show off your data entry skills. 3. Your hourly rate is so low! I know that it's an instinct to lower your hourly rate to be very low when you first start competing in such an open marketplace... But I think yours is too low. According to the oConomy pages, the average contractor from Bangladesh charges about $11 per hour - and the average for data entry is between $3 and $6 per hour. At $1.67, you're priced well below the average. Your rate should reflect the quality of work you will deliver as well as cover your expenses for working. There's no point in trying to work online if you can't pay your Internet bill, right? I'm not entirely sure what your rate should be, but if I were you I would take a look through the oConomy pages, try to find some other contractor profiles for people in your area, and re-evaluate your hourly rate to make sure that you are rating yourself correctly. Beyond that, the only other things I see is mostly in the jobs that you're applying to. There are so many applicants to most of them, it's hard to stand out. Make sure your cover letters are absolute prose, make sure you're reading the job descriptions carefully and answering all the questions, and really use that cover letter to shine through. The best profile in the world won't help if you can't get the employers to look at it. Or, start applying for jobs where there is less competition. You have Web Design listed as one of your categories, start there and cut out the data entry and virtual assistant jobs. There are fewer applicants for web design, so it is easier to stand out. I'm sure others may have some other thoughts; but I hope that this helps for now Smiley Happy Best of luck!
Highlighted
Dyah Marini E Member Since: Mar 7, 2011
643 of 1,393
hey thanx, u covered almost all my questions. i'm new here and really eager to get that first job Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Kausar K Member Since: Oct 12, 2016
644 of 1,393

Best of luck

Highlighted
Asuntah W Member Since: Sep 20, 2010
645 of 1,393
I have been here for a while now, applying for jobs as often as i possibly can. I have even verified and my job quota is 25. The unfortunate thing is, i have not landed a job yet. The only thing i would admit i sincerely haven't build is my portfolio. Please advice me on how to restructure my profile since my current one seems not to be working. Thank you.
Highlighted
646 of 1,393
Hi Asuntah Smiley Happy Honestly, your profile looks pretty good to me. It's just not very memorable. There's really nothing about it that is standing out in my mind. Also, if you know Wordpress, get out of writing. Writing is relaxing and fun and I love writing - but it's too competitive here. There are tens of thousands of contractors who can write - most of whom are probably better than I am at it. So if you have a lesser-known skill like Wordpress, start moving everything to there. Good Luck!
Highlighted
eileen y Member Since: Jun 16, 2010
647 of 1,393
thanks for the post..I hope someone will hire me after almost a year of membership.I stll was not hired by anyone. Can anybody send me an email in my yahoo on what to do about my profile?
Highlighted
Jebin K Member Since: May 2, 2012
648 of 1,393
It's so helpful to every odesk user. Like it. Respect you for that. Thnx
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
649 of 1,393
SO after a long time Iam in this thread. Need to find out how to get a $50/hr job Smiley Sad
Highlighted
650 of 1,393
Apply to it, LOL.