cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Cherry Vic P Member Since: Nov 29, 2010
61 of 1,388
i totally agree - with everything! because this is my style too! it has worked well for me: to ask questions in my cover letter (so that at least if the details of the project do not suit me, i spare the employer from interviewing me); to wait until a really interesting job comes up and not to work in half-hearted endeavors and half your hourly rate; to make your resume stand out from an ocean of bland CVs. as to the hourly rate, don't compromise, if you believe your effort is worth that much. just make sure to deliver when finally an employer sets you up with that hourly contract. and if you still can't land that first job, persevere. is this really what you want to do? then by all means, persist, persist, persist!
Shalini G Member Since: Oct 9, 2010
62 of 1,388
Hi, As per your advice, I worked on my profile, job application and work sample as well and I got some contracts also. And my employers are really very happy with my work. But again interview invitation is stopped for me. Why this happed? Is it safe to send worksample to employers although I removed all confidential information from it. Kindly please check my profile and suggest me what is wrong? Thanks, Shalini
Emma Q Member Since: Jan 25, 2011
63 of 1,388
thanks 4d advice...Smiley Happy
Ferdousur R Member Since: Nov 29, 2010
64 of 1,388
Thank you very much for this helpful post. It will help me to fulfill my profile. I get some basic tips from this post.
Munir A Member Since: Feb 6, 2011
65 of 1,388
wonderful! these will be really helpful. thanks
Cecilia A Member Since: Jan 16, 2011
66 of 1,388
Just read your post and want to thank you for this information. I'm new to oDesk and still getting a feel for it. Looking at jobs and will begin taking tests this week. My question (or rather confusion) is why are the rates so low for some of the jobs ... $1.00/hour for some of them. Is it because a lot of these jobs are very short turnaround? Can you tell me where in oDesk I can find info. regarding what clients/employers are paying? Thank you and any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
Aaron J J Member Since: Jan 26, 2011
67 of 1,388
This advice has served me greatly!
Della R Member Since: May 5, 2010
68 of 1,388
Thank you very much for the information because I am new, and your information really helped me to make sure that I am oDesk ready.
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
69 of 1,388
Hi, I've applied for a job posting and was invited to join an individual online via Skype for I think an interview. We were scheduled to meet at 10EST. However, I got the times mixed up and showed up one hour ahead. We did get to speak and the conversation began. I was asked to go to a paticular website and open an email. It went well until I asked to located two areas, one on each site or page that was opened. (It was a link building job) I couldn't locate neither one of the items for a few seconds and then the gentleman cut in and said that he would have a chat with his boss, to find out if I was going to be hired. Well, I didn't get the job (Sad) and I wasn't sure what happened. My profile still shows the job posting as an active one. I didn't want to seem rude and ask questions of the individual and so I just thanked him for his time and considering me and I logged off. Help me, explaing this to me please. What happened?
HERNAND L Member Since: Dec 9, 2009
70 of 1,388
Hi, Great advice. Would you mind also to look at my profile and suggest for some improvements. I haven't get that first job since i joined odesk. Your comment and suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks. God bless you.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS