🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Was I rejected and can I still accept a job i...
Page options
violinear
Community Member

Was I rejected and can I still accept a job if offered later?

Hi, I'm very new to Upwork and not entirely sure about this issue I had today:

Today, a client messaged me as a reply to my proposal to say that they really liked my proposal and would like for me to confirm my rate and ETA before proceeding. I messaged back a few minutes later with the required information.

However, I then logged into my email and saw that the client had rejected my proposal a few minutes after his message to me and before my message in return, due to "lack of experience".

I'm really confused - has he rejected my proposal before my reply, and can I get the job still? Or does the rejection mean I can't? The client did state he is new to Upwork and it could be a simple error on his part, but I'm not sure how I can still accept the job if my proposal got rejected... is this possible?

6 REPLIES 6
joansands
Community Member

You don't have a job until you get a contract.

This I know, but can I get a job from the same proposal after rejection? The client seemed like he was on the verge of sending me a contract but seems to have accidentally rejected the proposal.

Ana V wrote:

This I know, but can I get a job from the same proposal after rejection? The client seemed like he was on the verge of sending me a contract but seems to have accidentally rejected the proposal.

Possible. Have you checked the job post if someone was hired?

In any case, the client can still contact you through messaging or look up your profile if he wants to contact you. 

robbie-b
Community Member

Hi Ana,

Ask them if they got someone or clicked the wrong button.

I've had a client mistakenly reject a proposal. He couldn't re-open it though. I just told him to relist and send an invite. There's likely easier ways to do it that I don't know. 

In any case, just message them. Sounds like a mistake. 

Edit: 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Un-Decline-Freelancer-Proposal/td-p/176692

If you've been rejected by accident, the easier way is to give a link to your profile and tell them to use the 'hire now' button. They can make an offer there that you can accept. 

opsogreen1
Community Member

Hi Ana,

I understand you. Actually, the client rejected your proposal due to lack of exprience reason. In the client-side client's are able to decline any proposal with a particular reason. In this case, you are not able to qualify for that project. I mean YOU are qualified but you would not get the job. 

BUT if the client did state that he is new, he/she might mistakenly decline your proposal. So tell him/her to hire you directly from your profile.

Hope this help 🙂

Thanks

colettelewis
Community Member

Ana, 

I would simply wait and see. I would advise against questioning the decision. If the client has made a mistake then he or she will come back to you. The client may well have chosen someone with more experience. If this is the case, then don't be downhearted. Continue to  bid on jobs you know you can do. I am sure, with your excellent profile, it will not be long before you get traction on this site. 

ETA: If possible, add a portfolio to your profile - even if this is a reference/link to your Google award. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths