🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Was I scammed????
Page options
cynwest
Community Member

Was I scammed????

I am new to Upwork. I applied for a virtual assistant job. They responded immediately asking for my email address. They emailed me saying I have been hired and to send a picture of my license and my W9. It didn't seem suspicious to me because this is info any employer asks for. I sent it and haven't heard back. Upwork notified me that this job post has been taken down because they did not comply with upworks terms. I'm guess this was a scam. But what can someone do with that kind of info? I started a fraud alert with the credit bureau. I will notify social security that my info has been comprimised. But is there anything else I should be doing to cover myself? I realize now that no one should be asking for personal info outside of the site, but that being my first job offer, I guess I was too eager. 

4 REPLIES 4
cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Cynthia,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please avoid giving your personal information to your clients. You may read these articles to help you:

Getting Started

Tips to avoid questionable jobs

How it Works

Thank you

Untitled
duan-susan
Community Member

Actually I wil keep an eye on resposes because very similar has just happened to me. Didn't get offered just asked for email and phone number. Having only just started on Upwork I'm very innocent to the system but as I am chinese I have seen enough scams and my husband (an Australian) studied Internet scams and Identity Theft so I am also a little suspicous.

mtngigi
Community Member

@Cynthia B wrote:

I am new to Upwork. I applied for a virtual assistant job. They responded immediately asking for my email address. They emailed me saying I have been hired and to send a picture of my license and my W9. It didn't seem suspicious to me because this is info any employer asks for. I sent it and haven't heard back. Upwork notified me that this job post has been taken down because they did not comply with upworks terms. I'm guess this was a scam. But what can someone do with that kind of info? I started a fraud alert with the credit bureau. I will notify social security that my info has been comprimised. But is there anything else I should be doing to cover myself? I realize now that no one should be asking for personal info outside of the site, but that being my first job offer, I guess I was too eager. 

This is a freelancing site - they're not employers, they're clients. Clients don't need your personal information. This person now has your home address and all the other info on your driver's license, as well as your social security number. They can do all kinds of things with that information. I hope you've done everything you should be doing before the damage is done.

valentina1337
Community Member

Very unfortunate that it happened, and you did good by taking action right away and reporting it!

This can happen sometimes to new freelancers. As they are most often not familiar with the policies, and what clients can ask for, they tend to give more information than it is actually needed, most often because they are glad to get the job, which is very great and enthusiastic. 

Everyone should be aware that thru UpWork, the clients are not allowed to ask for any of your personal information, not even your email address, as UpWork platform has everything that any freelancers needs to work with their clients and communicate with them without an issue thru the platform. Also, all the information that every client would actually need to know about you, is on your profile, and that is how the UpWork platform works, and that is the policy that keeps the clients, and freelancers safe for a long time.

No one cannot prevent those type of scams, but if we all spread the word, and make sure freelancers know what not to do, and also to flag and report those clients and messages right away, there will be less of them thru time 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths