🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Weekend rates?
Page options
rgbtv
Community Member

Weekend rates?

I'm finding that clients are slow getting materials and assets ready, so jobs are delayed.  What is the protocol for working over the weekend and charging higher rates because of it?  What's the protocol and how can you charge a higher rate if it's already "set" in your proposal?

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

There is no protocol.

If you want to charge more or less for work done over weekends, then go for it. It's up to you.

But how can you do that if your rate is already "set" in the proposal?
Aside from having a chat with the client and letting them know?

Jonathan
How?
You can do it any way you want, as long as you do so using the existing Upwork software system and as long as you do not violate any Upwork ToS.

Beyond that, there is no established tips or protocols or advice, because this has never been discussed before in the Forum.

Thank you! I'll give it a go and report back.

I've unfortunately got a few clients who were routinely sending me work on a Friday night and wanting it back first thing on Monday morning, so I started charging them double for weekends. I also quote higher fixed price rates for rush jobs. If I didn't put my foot down, then I would never have any time off.

If it's hourly, you could run the time tracker and they can pay the additional amount as a bonus payment. (Clear it with them first, obviously.) But usually when I say that weekends cost more, the client magically decides that they're not in such a hurry after all.

Great advice. I'm running into the same thing. Friday afternoon asset
dump and Monday delivery. Uh...

Thanks for that!
petra_r
Community Member

What is that "weekend" thing you all speak of? 😉

I often work more during the concept I once called a weekend and take time off during the week.

rgbtv
Community Member

Valid point.
sjbercot
Community Member

You guys are getting weekends? 🙂

As a freelancer, I think people assume I'm on weekend whenever I want. But somehow I never am...

Petra R wrote:

What is that "weekend" thing you all speak of? 😉

I often work more during the concept I once called a weekend and take time off during the week.

I don't mind working weekends if I choose to do so, the problem is when clients start to assume that I'm available 24/7. There's rarely even an apologetic, "Sorry that I'm sending you this job at 6 p.m. on a Friday, when I said that I'd be sending it last Wednesday..." One client even told me that she thought "everybody" worked weekends. I just need to have some boundaries or I would never get any time off.

Precisely. As another fine poster responded, if you mention time and a
half rate for Saturday and Sunday work, magically the deadline shifts much
later. #DavidCopperfield
lysis10
Community Member

I usually get work Wed-Friday so weekends have become my work week and Monday-Tuesday are my days off. I don't charge higher or lower for anything.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths