🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Weekly salary?
Page options
ce3fd11f
Community Member

Weekly salary?

I hired a freelancer advertising $10 an hour and at the end of week billing there was a charge for a weekly salary of $240. Is this in error? I had no such stipulation in the contract.

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I hired a freelancer advertising $10 an hour and at the end of week billing there was a charge for a weekly salary of $240. Is this in error? I had no such stipulation in the contract."

Diana:

There IS a weekly stipend ("weekly salary") setting in the clients-side interface which clients use to set up a contract. on occasion, clients accidentally click a button - thinking it means something else - that puts this into effect. You're not the first client to run into this situation.

I don't think you can remove the stipend from the current contract. But you CAN create a new contract, and look out for that box, and don't click it.

As for the amount already charged, you will want to look at your contract settings, to confirm that this was what happened. Send a screenshot to the freelancer. Apologize for the mistake, and ask her to send a refund in the amount of the weekly stipend.

Tell her that after she does that, you'll be setting up a new hourly contract WITHOUT the stipend.

Read this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067938-Pay-for-Hourly-Contracts

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 9.54.12 AM.png

Thank you for your quick response. I will follow your advice. Thanks again.

HI!

I have the same question. I've logged my hours manually and now we need to close the completed contract. However, the work diary is now showing an additional amount as weekly salary and increased the total amount due from the client - which is invalid. can we do something about it before we close the contract? Refunding any amount to my client over international transfer will be expensive for me.

Hi Shweta,

If you would like to refund time on an active contract for the current week, you can remove the time from your Work Diary and your client will not be billed for the removed hours.

If you would like to refund a payment from a previous billing period or on a closed contract, you have the ability to issue a refund for 180 days after the payment is received. To learn more about how you can issue a refund, check out this Help Article. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

i cant see the option to change the weekly salary.

Hi Shweta,

Please keep in mind that only the client can update/change the contract. If there's something that need's to be changed, I would recommend reaching out to your client.
If the client needs any help, they can reach out to us (Moderators) directly here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Diana K wrote:

I hired a freelancer advertising $10 an hour and at the end of week billing there was a charge for a weekly salary of $240. Is this in error? I had no such stipulation in the contract.

You set that up while creating the contract....  you went to "advanced options" and added a figure above the place where it told you that it is in addition to any hourly charges.

The way to fix it is to end the contract as it is, ask the freelancer to refund the $ 240, and set up a new hourly contract, NOT clicking on any advanced options and NOT setting any weekly salary.

You aren't the first client to have made that mistake and probably won't be the last...

Hi Petra,

My client seems to have done the same thing and now we're at the end of the contract and he's been billed extra. Is it ok to refund the amount before closing the contract? will it affect my ratings, etc on Upwork? also, will i be charged anything for processing the refund? will the commission also be refunded?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shweta, 

As long as you have pending, and available earnings in your Upwork account, you should be able to refund a client at any time. You will not be charged anything for processing a refund. 

As for what situations will affect your score, you may want to check this help article for more information.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths