🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What Activities Upwork are doing and what sof...
Page options
sunnytexas
Community Member

What Activities Upwork are doing and what software Upwork is using when connecting to my computer

Hello,

I am working on a job through Upwork now. Upwork will take screen shot of my computer screen and a webcam photo of me every 10 minutes or so.

I am not computer guru. However, I am starting to be concerned about this connection. I am worried about the security, safety and what access I am giving upwork in terms of my computer. 

what software Upwork is using to monitor me working?

What exactly the actitivies are when Upwork take a screenshot of my computer? I know it also record how many times I hit keys on the key board and how many times I click my mouse ( your website states that it does not record what I am clicking and typing. If this information is inaccurate, please definitely tell me. )

Other than Upwork will be getting

1. A screenshot of my screen
2. A photo of me through webcam
3. Times I hit a keyboard and a mouse, but not what I type or am typing

What else Upwork is monitoring and will be able to access in my computer please? 

In order to be secure, can I choose to enter time manually instead?

Are there any safety concern through this connection please? 

Will this connection open up something and hence make my computer vulnerable to attack?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
voskerchian
Community Member

Hey Xiaoshan
You are a little confused about all this. Upwork doesn't take pics of you working through your webcam))) One of the things I like most about freelancing is that I can work from anywhere and can do anything while working. No one monitors you so through your web come so you can do your work while taking a bath if you like)))
However, the app does take screenshots of your screen every 10 mins and also counts your activity level which includes mouse and keyword clicks.
All of this is done for your and your client's security so no need to worry.

Hope this helps!

@Hasmik V wrote:

Hey Xiaoshan
You are a little confused about all this. Upwork doesn't take pics of you working through your webcam))) One of the things I like most about freelancing is that I can work from anywhere and can do anything while working. No one monitors you so through your web come so you can do your work while taking a bath if you like)))

Some clients require the webcam screenshots. Most do not, but it definitely exists...

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Xiaoshan, 

To learn more about our desktop app you can visit this Help Article.
Our desktop app is recording only the following: 

1. Screenshot 
  2. Camera shot (If you enable this feature)
  3. Count of keyboard/mouse activities (keypress/ mouseclick)
  4. Once per minute get time of latest user activity (any mousemove/click/keyboard press)
  5. Window title of current active app (Google Chrome/ MSword/ VisualStudio e.t.c.)

If you`re client has allowed you to upload manual time on your contract you can use the option, but keep in mind that manual time is not covered under our Upwork Payment Protection.
Your computer will not be vulnerable to any additional risk by using our app, to learn more how you can protect yourself visit the Safety first section on this Thread.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths