🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What are some skills I should study before ap...
Page options
robert_pritchard
Community Member

What are some skills I should study before applying here ( Prospective Accountant)

Title.
It's always been sort of my goal per se to work in a field of Finance, and math is actually a pretty good strong suit of mine. Problem is, I've only just started and it's all so confusing. I would like to freelance a bit on here to see if this something I would like to do, but I really don't know where or what to start studying to get a good chance of approval, so do you guys have any tips/advice for this prospective accountant?
2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Robert:

Would you trust your finances to an accountant who says of finance:

"Problem is, I've only just started and it's all so confusing."

I am sorry, but you do not understand Upwork and you do not understand freelancing.

If you would like to learn more, then it is acceptable for you to do so. (To learn more.) Start here:

Getting Started on Upwork

colettelewis
Community Member

Robert P wrote:
Title.
It's always been sort of my goal per se to work in a field of Finance, and math is actually a pretty good strong suit of mine. Problem is, I've only just started and it's all so confusing. I would like to freelance a bit on here to see if this something I would like to do, but I really don't know where or what to start studying to get a good chance of approval, so do you guys have any tips/advice for this prospective accountant?

Yes. You need experience in the big, bad world of finance before you freelance. Google in this instance is your friend. Check out exactly what it means to freelance and exactly what it means to run your own business, because this is what freelancing is about. 

When you freelance, you should already have a proven skill or skills, and preferably experience, that you can offer a potential client. You need to know how to use those skills. You also need to know how to set up your own business, how to pay your taxes, and how to support yourself/your family. 

"Sort of interested" does not cut it - no matter how good you are at math. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths