🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What are the RED FLAGS for scams on UpWork?
Page options
lbennett89
Community Member

What are the RED FLAGS for scams on UpWork?

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What are the RED FLAGS for scams on UpWork?"

Google Hangouts

Beyond that, I suggest you use the "Subject" search field to search for "red flags" and "scams" in the Community Forum.

sergio-soria
Community Member

tpo78749
Community Member

I'm in software R&D, and one red flag is when the client asks for an architecture design as part of the interview process. For example, in one ad for a contract, the client said that submitting a design with the proposal gives you an edge; a definite red flag! Unfortunately, it often takes a some time into the interview process before in becomes obvious. I recently had an interview for a writing critique service, and it became apparently towards the end of the interview that they were just using me to find out information about a competitor, for whom I had worked. Other red flags are when potential clients ask you to solve part of the problem. Clients often ask high level questions on how you might address the problem, which is OK. However, some clients transition into brainstorming on how to solve the actual problem, which is simply taking advantage of you. This tends to be a problem for me, as my rate is relatively high but I have skils currently in demand. For some penny-pinching clients, it's great to get free advice, saving them a hundred dollars or so! However, this is terrible for freelancers, because you might have to put extra time for the proposal and post-interview communication, so you don't get paid for several hours of work. I will be trying to get Upwork to allow for for clients to be flagged as potential exploiters, because this was a problem for me when they were oDesk. At the very least, we should be to rate the interview process. Naturally it will tend to be negative given more rejected candidates than those accepted, but there should emerge patterns for the egregious offenders.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lauren, 

Here are some tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
lbennett89
Community Member

I ask because I’m interviewing now I guess.....and I have recently been asked to work on a project involving Crypto currency investments and transfers using Zelle and ACH programs. I’ve been asked to create an account and I’m assuming these accounts would be attached to my personal banking information like my bank account #, routing number, etc. it just got weird. And honestly, it doesn’t seem right. That’s why I started this thread because, I think I’m 100% sure that it’s a scam. And before I regret anything. I rather walk away free.

@Lauren B wrote:
I ask because I’m interviewing now I guess.....and I have recently been asked to work on a project involving Crypto currency investments and transfers using Zelle and ACH programs. I’ve been asked to create an account and I’m assuming these accounts would be attached to my personal banking information like my bank account #, routing number, etc. it just got weird. And honestly, it doesn’t seem right. That’s why I started this thread because, I think I’m 100% sure that it’s a scam. And before I regret anything. I rather walk away free.

That's a scam. Run!

Lauren, when that "little voice" or whatever signals us that something doesn't seem right we need to listen to it.  You're to be commended for doing so. 

Unfortunately it oftentimes appears that many on Upwork don't listen to it, and they share their after-the-fact horror stories.  Generally their negative experiences could have been prevented.  

I agree with you. I just sent my email to decline any further interviewing with that “person”
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths