🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What data from driver's license is retained b...
Page options
karmiccomputing
Community Member

What data from driver's license is retained by Upwork?

The identity verification process says: "All data will be encrypted and securely processed. Your image will not be stored."

I would like to know if any data is stored once the verification process is completed, and if so, what data is stored from the scanned image. The image itself won't be stored, but what data will be?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ralph,

Only the information necessary to confirm your location will be collected and securely processed. For more information about our Privacy Policy please refer to this link.

~Nina

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Roger,

I understand your concern. When uploading the image of your ID while going through the verification process, any data will be encrypted and securely processed and your image will not be stored. We can assure you that your information is secured.

~ Bojan
Upwork
rverang
Community Member

@Bojan S wrote:

Hi Roger,

I understand your concern. When uploading the image of your ID while going through the verification process, any data will be encrypted and securely processed and your image will not be stored. We can assure you that your information is secured.

Not really sure the question was answered.

@Roger M wrote:

what data is stored from the scanned image. The image itself won't be stored, but what data will be?

Unfortunately I have to agree with Renante. I would like to know what data from my license is stored by Upwork. Even with industry standard security, we have all seen numerous examples of that not being enough with massive data breaches.

I can accept sensitive data being stored, but I would like to know exactly what is being stored and if I can have it entirely removed in the future if requested.

Hi Ralph,

Only the information necessary to confirm your location will be collected and securely processed. For more information about our Privacy Policy please refer to this link.

~Nina

Thanks Nina.

The Privacy Policy states: "We may collect Personal Information, such as your date of birth or taxpayer identification number, to validate your identity or as may be required by law, such as to complete tax filings. We may request documents to verify this information, such as a copy of your government-issued identification or photo or a billing statement."

Although it doesn't specify exactly which data is collected, it does not seem that license numbers would be part of that. Between that and the data removal policy outlined in the Privacy Policy, I suppose that I would feel comfortable enough moving forward. It would be nice for Upwork to provide more transparancy in this process because there is still a vagueness to all the answers.

Hi, I recently read that Upwork "deletes the driver's license" in their system after I believe it was 30 days. 

tlsanders
Community Member

In previous threads, it's been suggested that Upwork uses a third party verification company for ID verification. Is Upwork even the one in possession of our driver's licenses or other ID, or is there an outside company involved? If there is an outside company involved, Upwork's privacy policy is of course entirely irrelevant and it is the privacy and security practices of the outside provider that are of interest.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths