🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What directions can you give me for some ...
Page options
99cab12d
Community Member

What directions can you give me for some project ?

Hello Upwork community,

I have some problems with my project which i want to start. So i want to start new project for android app but i dont know how much will cost, how many months and so on. What advices can you give me when i start the project i want to work with somebody in long term and i have some prototype(XD animation) about my app for easier explanation. Can i speak first with the developers before to hire someone to discuss the price and the time ?

Thank you in advance !

4 REPLIES 4
mtngigi
Community Member

Dilyan S wrote:

Hello Upwork community,

I have some problems with my project which i want to start. So i want to start new project for android app but i dont know how much will cost, how many months and so on. What advices can you give me when i start the project i want to work with somebody in long term and i have some prototype(XD animation) about my app for easier explanation. Can i speak first with the developers before to hire someone to discuss the price and the time ?

Thank you in advance !

You first have to create a job posting. You can wait for bids to come in, or you can search freelancer profiles and invite those that interest you to interview right from their profile by clicking "invite to job". The interview stage is just that, an interview. This is where you have the opportunity to "speak first".

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dilyan, 

I went to the Hiring Headquarters and looked for articles on how much does it cost to hire a developer. I found a few articles that may help you with your concern, but you can refine the search keywords. 

Since you are new here, I would recommend that you read up on the resources we have compiled for new clients in this post. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have other questions.

~ Avery
Upwork
robin_hyman
Community Member

Dilyan S wrote:

Hello Upwork community,

Thank you in advance !

Of course you can speak first before you decide to hire.  That's the typical process.  In your job post, simply indicate if you are looking for entry level, intermediate, or expert.  Then length of project.  You can leave it hourly and no fixed budget.  Freelancers will propose based on their hourly wage or how much they think the project should cost based on the details you provide.  The more details, the better.  

prestonhunter
Community Member

Dilyan:

Let's be very honest about what is going on here:

You have an idea, and I bet it is a very good idea. But you need help to transform this into an android app, and that is something you don't have experience with.

You now know that you can speak to freelancers a bit before hiring them.

But if you REALLY want this project to succeed, you must not simply hire one freelancer to work on it.

What if you hire the wrong person?

If you really are serious about this, I strongly advise you to HIRE four to six different freelancers as consultants, just to talk to them. Put this in your job posting - that you want to talk to people about your project to get a better idea about how you should go about it, and how much you should plan to spend, what approach to take, how long it should take.

Talk to these freelancers - people you hire as consultants - between 20 to 60 minutes each. More if you feel that continuing the conversation is helpful.

Don't spend much time interviewing them or talking to them before you hire them. Talking is what you are hiring them to do.

If you do this, you will save time and money on your project.

After you have obtained some ideas and better understanding about how to successfully get an Android app project done, then you really SHOULD hire a project manager.

Work with the project manager to hire freelancers to work on your project. At least two different freelancers to work on it.

If you don't hire a project manager, then you need to understand that YOU must be the project manager. If you personally do not act as a project manager, then the lead developer on your project will be the project manager. Which will work out fine with about 20% of lead devs. But if your lead dev is not in that 20%... then your project will fail.

So your four choices are:

- hire a project manager

- act as a true project manager yourself

- hire a lead dev who is in the 20%

- allow your project to fail

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths