🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What do customers see when I apply for a job?
Page options
b6744846
Community Member

What do customers see when I apply for a job?

What do customers see when I apply for a job? Do they see my proposal followed by my account or do they only see my account if they click on it? 

5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis
Community Member

Marta R wrote:

What do customers see when I apply for a job? Do they see my proposal followed by my account or do they only see my account if they click on it? 

They see the first three lines of your proposal and probably of your overview. So those three lines are valuable real estate - don't waste them by talking about yourself or your passions.  One needs to address the client's "passions" - not always easy! 

ETA: (And your overview is scambait - that is, an invitation to scammers. You might be a student, but you have skills to offer. Do not write that you have nothing or only a little to offer)

re: "What do customers see when I apply for a job?"

What Upwork shows to clients is one thing. What clients focus on is another thing.

I often hire freelancers without looking at their overview text or reading proposals. I often click onto their profile pages and skip right to their portfolios.

For other types of jobs, I focus on other things. Sometimes I just look at their profile page headline, looking for a specific skill I need to hire for. Sometimes I focus on their hourly rate so I can quickly eliminate freelancers who are too cheap or too expensive.

Nichola L wrote:

Marta R wrote:

They see the first three lines of your proposal and probably of your overview. So those three lines are valuable real estate - don't waste them by talking about yourself or your passions.  One needs to address the client's "passions" - not always easy! 

ETA: (And your overview is scambait - that is, an invitation to scammers. You might be a student, but you have skills to offer. Do not write that you have nothing or only a little to offer)

A doubt, I think I once saw in the forum that the first thing customers see is the (generally stupid) questions, before the text of proposal.
Can you confirm it for me?

Maria T wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Marta R wrote:

A doubt, I think I once saw in the forum that the first thing customers see is the (generally stupid) questions, before the text of proposal.
Can you confirm it for me?

Maria,

That only happens when/if a client asks those questions.

mtngigi
Community Member

Marta R wrote:

Marta,

Take Nichola's advice and edit your overview. It's tempting to try and be clever and cute, but it doesn't read as experienced or professional. Clients do not need to know your age, that you're a student, or that you are taking a gap year - your overview should not read like a bio.

You should also be aware that asking (even nicely) for reviews could be considered feedback manipulation, which is against Upwork's TOS. Feedback is something you should never ask for, suggest, or discuss with clients - it's unprofessional. Get more successfully delivered jobs under your belt and the rest will follow.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths