🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What do you do when clients don't even vi...
Page options
0c4f64cd
Community Member

What do you do when clients don't even view your proposals?

There are some tips floating around talking about profile, portfolio and proposals. After spending some time and money here I feel they're all irrelevant when the clients don't even bother to look at your proposal.

It's really inefficient, because if they would, then they'd see that I've finished half of the work before being accepted anyways (research, finding key points writing outlines).

Shouldn't upwork prompt not only the star ratings of freelancers but also the number of portfolio items or interesting attachments?

Anyways, leaving that aside, how do I get my first job? I've done everything, but the clients don't see my proposal, so all my efforts are rendered useless.

What strategies and tactics do you recommend?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can start the proposal with something catchy that will prompt client to open your proposal. Attractive and catchy sentences will depend on job you are applying for. I am not expert at writing catchy stuff otherwise would have applied it to my proposals but you can ask any one of many talented writers here to get an idea.

Other thing would be to keep applying and keep improving profile and proposals. Test different versions and layouts of proposals to see the output. You should also try applying to jobs that have less proposals after few hours and you believe you can do it . You can use search to find those jobs

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Upwork often marks freelancers as a "best match" in the proposals that the client sees, whether they are or not, and regardless of any ratings or badges. The reality is that most categories are overcrowded with freelancers and it's very difficult for even some of the most experienced people to get work. 

I would stop doing free samples if I were you. You're just wasting your time and making yourself look desperate. You've got a portfolio, so that should be enough for clients to see whether you're qualified or not.

How many proposals have you sent so far?

19 proposals so far.

I'll consider your advice of stopping doing samples, but I don't know if that makes me look desperate or eager and confident. That's a separate issue.

Profile and portfolio are irrelevant if the clients don't even open the proposal. My question is, what tactic or strategy can I use given that this is the reality? 

19 proposals is hardly anything. Some freelancers need to send hundreds of proposals before they get one job; it could take months. You need to adjust your expectations if you thought that getting work here was going to be easy; it's not, it's very difficult and competitive, and becoming more so every day.

If you'd like specific advice on whether or not your proposals are as effective as possible, I suggest posting a few samples here so that you can get feedback.

I did get my first job right away, on my second day on the site. Also, I believe I got the job because I proactively demonstrated my understanding of the topic in my proposal.

My question has never been about the competition. My question has been about the choices freelancers have when their proposals don't get viewed.

Proposals are the only way that clients get to know about a freelancer - and if they don't get seen, no amount of proactivity or can-do spirit will make any difference.

Let me reiterate. My question is more to the point of being proactive when the proposals you make don't get read.

For the time being, the answer is a) be proactive and provide proof that you know the job. b) Make this clear in the first two lines of the proposal so the client doesn't have to even open your proposal to know you've done something nice and c) bid to make your proposal first when you have reasonable room to demonstrate that you can do the job better than others. (in writing this could be understanding of the topic, outline for an eBook or samples of previous work.)

Is there anything else that can help a freelancer become proactive in the face of unread proposals? If so, please let me know 🙂 

The bottom line is that you need to be the best match, period, and you need to show a potential client that very early in your proposals.

That is the goal.

You sound so confident. But I didn't even get one single view on my proposal after sending so many sample work. What should I do? I have my portfolio full of work examples and experiences. Should I stop sending client my sample work?

What skills are you offering? Your profile is set to private, so it's hard to tell. 

My profile is public now.

Community Member

Hi Dharav!

Don't worry about unread proposals as clients receive so many of them that going through all of them is just not possible. If you look in history, you will know most of clients don't even bother hiring anyone.

Reduce your rate to 20-25$ for now and later, when you have more experience, you can increase it. Change your titles and tags to better match with portfolio and you can always get inspiration from profiles of others in your category.

Hope this helps and Good luck.

Thank you Nabeel! I'll make the proposed changes. 🙂

However, let me ask my question again. It's OK if the clients don't view proposals. We can accept that as reality. However, what are the things in our control that we can make better to increase our odds? You've mentioned some things about rates and profile. Is there anything else?

Thanks! 

You can start the proposal with something catchy that will prompt client to open your proposal. Attractive and catchy sentences will depend on job you are applying for. I am not expert at writing catchy stuff otherwise would have applied it to my proposals but you can ask any one of many talented writers here to get an idea.

Other thing would be to keep applying and keep improving profile and proposals. Test different versions and layouts of proposals to see the output. You should also try applying to jobs that have less proposals after few hours and you believe you can do it . You can use search to find those jobs

Hi,

Many of Upwork's rules have changed recently. Because of that many people have entered here. Some jobs get 50+ proposals, Upwork doesn't show the exact number. I think this number is 100+. It is difficult for clients to review all proposals. I think they can review less than 10 proposals.

Getting a first job on any freelance site is a bit difficult these days. Even if you have a good experience. If you are a fresher don't apply for all the jobs.

So, How to get a job?

According to my experience...

• Target some countries clients. Try to be online more when your clients are working.
  • Try to apply as soon as the job is posted. Because at that moment they are also online. At that time you will have more chances to get job.
  • If any old job received less than 10 proposals, you can apply for such jobs.
  • If the client is interviewing other freelancers, avoid that job. (Initially only)
  • If the client has sent invitations to other freelancers, avoid that job. (Initially only)
  • Target as small clients as possible in the beginning.
  • Apply immediately if any client has urgent work.
  • Apply for 'Entry Level' jobs only. (Initially only)
  • Make a minimum bid for the initial few jobs. (approx 1 to 5 jobs)

In Proposal

• Tell the client you read their job posting.
  • Tell them about your experience in that job.
  • If that client is older, search for the client's name in freelancer reviews. Enter that name in your proposal.
  • Promise to work quickly. and etc.

I also check these lists before applying for a job post.

• Payment Method Verified.
  • 4+ Clients Rating.
  • 75%+ Hiring Rate.

Mostly, I will apply for 5-6 countries job posts only.
This is just my practice. So far I have not met any scammers. Also, I have successfully got a job this way.

It will take time, I don't know how much. It also depends on your skills.

Check out this article:

How to Create a Proposal That Wins Jobs

https://www.upwork.com/resources/how-to-create-a-proposal-that-wins-jobs

&

If you understand how UpWork works, it will help you grow here.

Take some time and check out these UpWork Free Courses Learning Paths.

Courses: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Courses/tkb-p/Courses

Learning Paths: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Learning-Paths/ct-p/LearningPaths

These courses teach you, How does UpWork work? How to create a profile?, How to stay safe on Upwork? and etc.

Check out this blog

9 Tips to Help You Create a Freelancer Profile That Stands Out

https://www.upwork.com/resources/9-tips-create-freelancer-profile-stands-out

My Suggestion:
UpWork payment method is so good, you can bring in outside client's here too. This will help your profile grow.

This is my opinion. I hope this information helps you.

Keep in mind that often clients post to multiple platforms. 

Just because they aren't hired here, it doesn't mean they aren't being hired. The task then is to entice clients with the first two lines of your proposals, so they'll read the rest of it, then view your work examples. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths