🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What does interview mean on Upwork?
Page options
2d318873
Community Member

What does interview mean on Upwork?

Hello everyone,

Hope everyones weekend is going well. I am very new to Upwork and am a wee bit confused about Upwork "Interviews". So I would like to ask here before proceeding really.

I know what an interview is in terms of job hunting, but I recently moved from another freelance website and the process is different.

I notice that there is an option for voice or video call above the message, but does this necessarilly mean I need to call them? I am prepared to do this, but would rather keep communications in instant messages so I can refer to it later if needs be.

I am also quite nervous too if I'm honest.

I have tried searching on the forum, but even searching interview didn't return any results.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Phillip,

Welcome to Upwork. I'm not surprised you couldn't find anything by searching the forum, you'll have better luck using Google, but that's beside the point. An "interview" at Upwork means a client has responded to your proposal or your acceptance of an invitation. There's no need to use the audio or video features unless the client requests it. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
yitwail
Community Member

Phillip,

Welcome to Upwork. I'm not surprised you couldn't find anything by searching the forum, you'll have better luck using Google, but that's beside the point. An "interview" at Upwork means a client has responded to your proposal or your acceptance of an invitation. There's no need to use the audio or video features unless the client requests it. Hope this helps.

Sometimes the client will want to use audio or video to verify you are who you say you are.  (for example, a profile that says "fluent" in English and a freelancer who can barely speak English).  Depends on what category your skills encompass.

I'm in the legal field, so often clients want to talk to me about how my background fits their needs.  I usually schedule a telephone appointment in that case.

29feb6f6
Community Member

Hi John, 

Since I'm new here, I got the same issue as Philip, the client replied my proposal by typing "Interview". What should I do next? Should I reply by chat as well or directly schedule a meeting to proceed the further step? 

Thank you in advance 

lysis10
Community Member

I really hate their wording for the process. "Candidacy" is terrible. An "interview" is just you chatting with the buyer. "Candidacy" makes it sound like I'm looking for a jerrrrb and I'm shortlisted when in fact it just means the buyer pinged me or I responded to an invite. It means nothing more.

I hate "interview" a whole lot less than "active candidacy." Both just mean that you're chatting with a buyer.

re: "I notice that there is an option for voice or video call above the message, but does this necessarilly mean I need to call them"

I have completed over 100 jobs on Upwork.

Only rarely have I ever spoken to a client on the phone or via video chat. Mostly I use Upwork messaging.

I have rarely done video/chat interviews. Some clients will ask for this. Many will not.

I think it is good business to add this as an option you provide to clients. But it certainly is not necessary.

Hi. I was wondering if Skype or Telegram to do an interview is common. I am new here and received two proposals back requesting this type of contact for interview.

Yvonne T wrote:

Hi. I was wondering if Skype or Telegram to do an interview is common. I am new here and received two proposals back requesting this type of contact for interview.

Yvonne, it is a serious violation of UW's Terms of Service to use any communication channel off the platform until you have a contract in place. Some clients are unaware of the rule and you have to educate them. If they push back, walk away because they are either trying to get you off the platform to run a scam or they are comfortable breaking UW's rules and therefore, bad clients.

Find the "Top Red Flags for Scams" post and read it before you do anything else.

Hello, Phyllis

Thanks for your answer. I am in the same situation as Yvonne, receiving proposals for interviews that wanted to talk to me through Telegram. I am curious, though, how a client can be sure if I am fluent as I say I am before closing a contract. Can the interview be done in Upwork? Also, can you direct me to the rules about it? I can´t find them. Thank you!

Nivea B wrote:

Hello, Phyllis

Thanks for your answer. I am in the same situation as Yvonne, receiving proposals for interviews that wanted to talk to me through Telegram. I am curious, though, how a client can be sure if I am fluent as I say I am before closing a contract. Can the interview be done in Upwork? Also, can you direct me to the rules about it? I can´t find them. Thank you!

Yes, you can use the Message center to communicate with the client via chat, voice and/or Zoom.

The rules, along with tips about best practices, can be found in UW's Help and Support pages for Freelancers. I am a FL like you and I don't have time to go find specific citations for you. 

Thanks for all the helpful tips you've included about the community rules for interviews here! I'm very new to Upwork and just got a message from a potential client after I submitted a proposal for his posting saying that I'm "required to download the attached file for instructions on how to get interviewed for the position." This feels like a scam to me so I haven't downloaded the file. Would you agree or does this seem normal?

It's scam. Report the job and move on. 

2d318873
Community Member

Thank you guys! 🙂

It kinda scared me, I was just thinking "Is this a normal thing?". I hate having one interview every few years nevermind having an interview every time I apply for a one or two hour freelance position. I don't know why, but whenever I have an interview I seem to forget that I speak English.

My current position is my only "Permanent" post for this reason. Previously I have gone through recruitment agencies. They normally tend to be more relaxed, start you off for a month to test your abilities and keep you if you work out.

Well, there is nothing to worry about , it's just a formality because your client wants to satisfy himself atleast to that extent where he is ready to spend some money on his project.Just relax and enjoy exploring your talent.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths