🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What does "hires" mean in a job list?
Page options
weiqi-zhang
Community Member

What does "hires" mean in a job list?

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork. As I was searching for jobs, I found that some jobs' "hire" is 1. Does it mean that someone already is hired and it is meaningless to submit my proposal? It is confusing to me because the job shows up in the "job in progress" and the system still allows me to submit proposal. Can any one tell me if I should skip all jobs that has 1 hire?

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Weiqi,

"Hires" in the "Activity on This Job" section of the job post refers to the number of people the client has already hired for this job.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Weiqi,

"Hires" in the "Activity on This Job" section of the job post refers to the number of people the client has already hired for this job.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

I had the same confusion. 'Hires' should be reworded to 'candidates hired for this listing'. Or in fact the listing should automatically close if they've hired the amount of people they want. It's so stupid and just makes me waste tokens. So backward.

Hi jo-an, so if it says "1hire" I've already hired someone?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Weiqi Z wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork. As I was searching for jobs, I found that some jobs' "hire" is 1. Does it mean that someone already is hired and it is meaningless to submit my proposal? It is confusing to me because the job shows up in the "job in progress" and the system still allows me to submit proposal. Can any one tell me if I should skip all jobs that has 1 hire?

Thanks.

Yes, unless the client specifically states he is looking to hire more than 1 freelancer. 

b0e4094d
Community Member

I dont get it. I think is a basic function that if the client has already hire somebody for the job, why you can still apply for the job and submit a proposal? It is a misleading number and the job should not even be listed on the search

This could be that the client is still accepting proposals in case the hired freelancer doesn't do the work they need done. They are basically creating a pool of freelancers just in case. 

studioconstantin
Community Member

I still get confused about this term. I `m not native speaker but wouldn`t   be better if you use "hired" instead of "hires" ?

Most of the time it means there is no point applying anymore.

Not really. Imagine that the client needs to hire 8 freelancers. If you read "hired" only, it doesn't help much. However, if Upwork chose to write "7 hired", that would tell you that you still have a chance.

I agree but then the exact number of hired vs needed should be visible like Hired 1 of 1 or 0 of 2, Something like this.

Good idea, Constantin! That would be much clearer!

Yes, this proposal would be less confusing. The user experience is not very efficient.

3dart_med
Community Member

I'm having difficulty comprehending the situation.
The job announcement initially indicates that hired, but after some time, it displays the job is no longer available.
Despite my search in both the in-progress and accomplished lists, I cannot locate it.
Could the employer have closed the job, even though someone has been hired? This creates confusion.

Good idea to Include the desired number of recruits in the job posting to provide clarity for prospective applicants

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths