🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What exactly am I paying for
Page options
charvida
Community Member

What exactly am I paying for ?

Hi, I am struggling to justify why I am paying to use this platform as I have had 0 views to my profile for 3 months and 0 responses to any of the jobs I have applied for?

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Hi, I am struggling to justify why I am paying to use this platform as I have had 0 views to my profile for 3 months and 0 responses to any of the jobs I have applied for?"

Well, you are not paying for views, that's for certain.

Views may be interesting to some people, but I don't pay any attention to "profile views." I don't get paid based on profile views.

Until you are an established freelancer, you are highly unlikely to receive invites. So profile views are pretty much meaningless to a newbie.

I have been on Upwork many years, and if I leave my profile public, I will receive many good invitations a week. This is a seriously profitable platform for an established freelancer.

But it can take time to get established.
That is done by applying for jobs.

Before 2019, it was 100% free to apply for jobs.
Now it is not. Now we need to pay for connects.

That is what you are paying for: connects.
An opportunity to send a job application to a posted job.
It is NOT free.
I wish it was still free, but it isn't.
However, given the quality of client who use this platform (most clients are great!), the cost of connects is relatively small compared to what it would cost for you to market your services and get hired based on that marketing.

Well If I apply for jobs, I expect at least 1 person to look at my
application or profile. It doesn't make sense that I have 0 views of my
profile in 3 months. I can't understand what the problem is. I'm guessing
there is an issue with the settings?
publin
Community Member

hi, char Smiley Very Happy, not being hired or not having interviews would be a side effect of a LOT of variables. like you should really pay a bit more attention to your proposals and you should create a strategy for your self so you can increase your chances of Upwork. there is a competition - like any place on the earth - you got to pay Pattinson to the small details so you can use them for your side - the first job is the hardest thing I can confirm that but once you got it and understand the whole system and the pattern. you can get the whole system and make the odds on your side-proposals - understand the small details on the offers . and step by step your life will be a bit easier on Upwork . for me getting hired is nothing but art. understanding the clients and the perfect proposals and the compatibility is the key from my point of view.
and by the way *sorry 4 my poor English:"D I am not a native English speaker*

re: "Well If I apply for jobs, I expect at least 1 person to look at my
there is an issue with the settings?"

You are misinterpreting this.

The page views numbers/graph one sees on the My Stats page... these numbers do NOT include clients who you send proposals to. The numbers do not include all page views in a pure sense. The numbers are intended to reflect the number of clients who found your profile through search something. In all honesty, it still strikes me as a bit nebulous.

Char E wrote:

If you make your profile private, your views will stay at zero because you can't be found in the search function, but clients can still see it from proposals. 

Martina P wrote:

Char E wrote:

If you make your profile private, your views will stay at zero because you can't be found in the search function, but clients can still see it from proposals. 

And guess what she's gone and done... 

Hi, thanks for all your help. My profile settings are set to ‘only upwork
users’ so the whole network should be able to view my profile. Is that
correct?
--
Char Evans

Hi Char,

I understand your concern and frustration with this. Our engineering team double checked your profile and confirmed that everything is working as designed. 

At the moment on your timeline, you can see that you had a view towards the end of the previous month.

I would also suggest revising your profile overview and completing your profile up to 100%. You can also add portfolio items to showcase your past experience and the projects you`ve worked on.  Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
a_lipsey
Community Member

Char E wrote:

Hi, I am struggling to justify why I am paying to use this platform as I have had 0 views to my profile for 3 months and 0 responses to any of the jobs I have applied for?

Your profile needs a lot of work. Many people make the mistake of writing a "bio" instead of treating it like an ad listing of your services. Best practices on Upwork also suggest putting it in the 1st person instead of 3rd person. Maybe look at other profiles of successful freelancers doing British voiceovers and see how they are structuring their profiles. As it stands now, your profile is fairly boring, so I wouldn't hire you. I would want to know what you can bring to my project, what the process of working with you will be like, why you are a better choice than any other voiceover artist. If I can switch anyone else's name out in your profile and it still works, then it's not unique enough. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi, i didn’t ask about the quality of my profile. I simply asked why I’ve
had zero views. There is a difference from people checking you out but not
hiring you, to simply having zero views in 3 months.
--
Char Evans

Char E wrote:
Hi, i didn’t ask about the quality of my profile. I simply asked why I’ve
had zero views. There is a difference from people checking you out but not
hiring you, to simply having zero views in 3 months.
--
Char Evans

The quality of a profile and of a proposal count for a lot and could be one of the reasons you are not getting interviews. To begin with, you should make yourself searchable, and have the appropriate key words to snag the interest of a client. You should not take offence at another freelancer (who is also a client) making suggestions about your profile, but perhaps take their words of advice to heart. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths