🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What happened to exceeded weekly limit on nex...
Page options
singhanmol648
Community Member

What happened to exceeded weekly limit on next Week

When i reached my weekly limit, does that extra 8hours were counted on next week or it need clients permission to approve that exceeded hours to add on next week.

Client says don't worry about the exceeded limit.
4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Anmol S wrote:
When i reached my weekly limit, does that extra 8hours were counted on next week or it need clients permission to approve that exceeded hours to add on next week.

Client says don't worry about the exceeded limit.

Those hours will not be billed, charged or paid at all unless the client increases the weekly limit during the same week (for this week that means today or tomorrow!) or pays for them as a bonus.

They will not be "counted" this week or next week or any other week, and there is no "approval" process either. It's as if they don't exist and never have.

re: "Client says don't worry about the exceeded limit."

That's funny.

It's like when I went to the store and bought a gallon of milk and 5 prime steaks.

I put the milk on the checkout counter and paid three dollars. Then I walked out with the milk AND the steaks.

The clerk said: "What about the steaks? Are you going to pay for those?"

I said: "Don't worry about it."

Of course the client told you to not worry about it. The client got 8 hours of your labor for free.

=============================

As a freelancer, when I run out of time during a week due to the maximum number of hours, then I stop working. I tell the client that I am out of time. I ask if she wants me to wait until next week to do more work, or if she wants to increase the weekly time limit. It is her choice.

Preston H wrote:

Of course the client told you to not worry about it. The client got 8 hours of your labor for free.

=============================

The client likely doesn't even know that he/she won't get charged. Most clients have no idea and don't even think about it.

Please don't cause needless suspicion and discord between this freelancer and his client. There is no indication at this stage with the information provided that the client wanted to get 8 hours for free.

All that is needed is grown up communication between the freelancer and the client as to how the situation can be easily and painlessly rectified.

Edited to add:

Having just looked through the client's feedback from other freelancers I am no longer sure the client is all that innocent. I would not have dreamed of accepting a contract from him.

That said - that ship has sailed, the contract is running, the OP should obviously not have worked in excess of the weekly limit. Either the client will take care of it by increasing the limit or paying, - or not... nothing anyone can do about it now.

Petra:

(Completetly setting aside anything about THIS particular situation...)

You make an excellent point that a client may not know what is going on when a freelancer works more hours than are allowed by the weekly limit.

An experienced client who is closely monitoring work diaries may indeed notice a freelancer going into unpaid "overtime." BUT: If a client is not very experienced or knowledgeable about Upwork, or if the client is simply not monitoring work diaries... A client might not even know

I definitely consider it the freelancer's responsibility to understand how the work diary works, and to understand what happens if they work past the weekly maximum.

A knowledgable freelancer will not accidentally work for free by working past the weekly maximum - whether the client is innocent or nefarious.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths