🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What is the effect in JSS? And is it righ...
Page options
rajulamamoktan
Community Member

What is the effect in JSS? And is it right to dispute for the amount?

So, it is the 2nd time I am facing trouble with a client. 

She hired me as a colorist and she liked my first work and paid me $70 (not instantly- had to beg multiple times to approve the payment).

Later, she gave me another video to color-grade where all these issues appear. Later, I came to know that she hires multiple freelancers for the same video and experiments with their videos. In fact, whoever fixes their work in a single draft, would get that money and the remaining freelancers would not be paid (that is how their agenda is) and they would give them a 1-star rating. The same thing happened to me. In fact, she doesn't even give a revision chance.

She didn't like my 2nd video and she just ended the contract leaving me a 1-star rating.  She is asking for a refund for 2nd milestone escrow amount. Also, the rating isn't true because she loved my first milestone video and continued with 2nd milestone. 

So, my question is what is its effect on JSS, and should I have to refund the amount? She gave me a negative rating based on 2nd video. But, the rating is done one first milestone, which she really loved it.

2. Can I remove the feedback?

3. We are having a disputed issue, she said she wants her money back. But she is testing the same project with 4, 5 other freelancers, which seems to be against Upwork policy.

15 REPLIES 15
martina_plaschka
Community Member

So, my question is what is its effect on JSS

You have 8 contracts ended with feedback all factored into the calculation, so one counts roughly 1/8, with some impact based on volume. 

It is really weird that your JSS is still 100% with the other unsuccessful job before that. JSS is mainly determined by private feedback, so maybe that client gave you good private feedback, who knows. 

You should assume it will decrease with the next JSS calculation. You can only make the horrible feedback go away if you refund completely, so that is your decision to make. I would have recommended you not respond, this usually does not make things any better. 

The thing is, she is making a false statement. That is why I responded to the feedback. She didn't like my 2nd milestone work and she is asking for a refund now. But this feedback was given for 1st milestone- to which she clearly said she loved it which is why she offered me 2nd milestone.

Also, this client is experimenting with freelancers, she hires multiple people and lets them work on 1 project. Whoever does better than others, she continues to work with him and fires the rest people. Isn't it against Upwork policy? I have screenshot as a proof.

Also, this client is experimenting with freelancers, she hires multiple people and lets them work on 1 project. Whoever does better than others, she continues to work with him and fires the rest people. Isn't it against Upwork policy? I have screenshot as a proof.

What are you talking about?

Of course it's NOT against Upwork's ToS to hire multiple freelancers to test if they're a good match and fit (assuming the client pays all of them for their work with a funded contract). This is what freelancing's about!

But in this case, she is not paying the rest of the freelancers. Out of 5, 6 freelancers, she pays only 1, who made the project better than the other. She is asking for a refund of the money saying another freelancer made better than you, I won't hire you and said she wants a refund. But the time, I spent editing, doesn't that deserve to pay?
Also, it's the 2nd milestone, she liked my first work.

Don't work without a funded contract in place. It's simple as that. 

He didn't. 

She has funded in escrow. And she released my 1st milestone after she liked it. But the issue came on 2nd milestone work. She has funded 2nd milestone too , but now she is asking for a refund escrow amount.

I am not saying she didn't lie. I have no idea what happened and who is right and who is wrong, and I also don't care. The thing is, your future clients also don't care. They will perceive you as argumentative and difficult to work with. In the end, it's not about who is right, it's about the optics of your profile and your chances to win new clients. 

Thankyou so the good advice. So, is there any way to remove my feedback??

When you are not top-rated, only by refunding the TOTAL amount. 

Does it mean I will have to refund both 1st and 2nd milestone amounts to get the feedback removed? 

That is what total means. 

Also, do I have to refund the already approved work amount too??
She paid me $70 for 1st milestone. But she didn't like my 2nd work which I had a deal for another $70. So, do I have to refund $140??

You don't have to refund anything. You can reject the request to approve the escrow refund which will lead to a dispute.

It is your decision alone to make. 

df602768
Community Member

Honestly, I don't think your JSS will take a great hit. Perhaps it will drop to 93-95%? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths