cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the procedure to pay the person you hire?

Cherylynne B Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
1 of 20

HI

I want to know what is the procedure to hire a person to do your work for you?  When we both agree on a price eg $50 to do the work is there any other fee incurred? EG is there a fee to Upwork?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 20

@Cherylynne B wrote:

HI

I want to know what is the procedure to hire a person to do your work for you?  When we both agree on a price eg $50 to do the work is there any other fee incurred? EG is there a fee to Upwork?

When you hire the freelancer at $ 50 your credit card is charged the $ 50 and a 2.75% processing fee. The money is then held in Escrow until the work is done, at which point your freelancers submits the work, and you approve the funds (the $ 50) to be released from Escrow to the Freelancer.

Upwork takes its fee from the money that is released from Escrow to the freelancer.

3 of 20

Ok thanks. Then I am very angry with a person I talked to about doing my work. They wanted $50 and $672.50 for Upwork fee???  I am no not very confident to work with anyone from UPwork!!

4 of 20

Sorry the fee for the upwork was $62.50 and $50 for them!

Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 20

You pay N $ - 2.75% (transaction fee) - 20% (freelancer's fee for amount of $ below 500) = freelancer gets

So, how much did you pay? you have been charged for 112.5$? What amount $ you was discussed initiallly, 50$? Did you pay entire sum via UW?

You pay ~50$ - freelancer gets 38.9$

You pay ~64.27$ - freelancer gets 50$

https://www.upwork.com/i/pricing/clients/

and

https://www.upwork.com/i/pricing/freelancers/

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
6 of 20

It was agreed upon that I pay $50 for the amount of work i wanted done. Then I was told there will also be a Upwork fee of $62.50 on top of the $50.  So that means I would have paid $112.50. So what I am asking is this correct that Upwork charges this fee?

Community Guru
7 of 20

@Cherylynne B wrote:

It was agreed upon that I pay $50 for the amount of work i wanted done. Then I was told there will also be a Upwork fee of $62.50 on top of the $50.  So that means I would have paid $112.50. So what I am asking is this correct that Upwork charges this fee?

No. Essentially the freelancer should have quoted you $ 62.50 if they wanted to earn $ 50. ( 62.50 minus the 20% fee on contracts under $ 500 equals $ 50) If they quoted you $ 50 then you pay $ 50

the freelancer made a mistake. 

Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
8 of 20

it is not a correct calculation, if you agreed to pay 50$ for the work - you should not care for freelancer's fees, you only pay 50$ + 2.75%

@Cherylynne B wrote:

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 20

Hi Cherylynne,

As I mentioned in my previous post, the amount you agreed with the freelancer is the amount you should fund the contract for. The Upwork fee the freelancer mentioned is charged once the payment is released and taken from the released amount. You can find more information about pricing on this page and review additional resources we compiled here.

Community Guru
10 of 20

@Cherylynne B wrote:

Sorry the fee for the upwork was $62.50 and $50 for them!

Huh?

The Upwork fee is not something that needs to concern you at all. It is paid by the freelancer out of whatever has been agreed.

Whatever the freelancer bids is what you pay (you just pay the 2.75% payment processing fee)

There are literally millions of freelancers on this site, just work with another one.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS