cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the procedure to pay the person you hire?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 20

Hi Cherylynne,

I don't have an insight into your communication but assume the freelancer you communicated with was referring to getting paid the amount you offered plus the Upwork fee, which would total the amount they mentioned, similarly to the calculation from the example you mentioned. Both parties are free to negotiate a price but note that you will be billed for the amount agreed with the freelancer + the payment processing fee as Petra noted.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 20

re: "It was agreed upon that I pay $50 for the amount of work i wanted done. Then I was told there will also be a Upwork fee of $62.50 on top of the $50.  So that means I would have paid $112.50. So what I am asking is this correct that Upwork charges this fee?"

If you agree to pay $50, then you pay the freelancer $50.

That's it.

Very simple.

You'll end up getting charged slightly more because Upwork charges you a 2.75% payment transaction fee. But you do NOT make adjustments for that. You pay $50, and Upwork automatically adds that charge.

That freelancer was simply crazy, or completely corrupt.

I would not trust that freelancer to walk my dog.

And I hate my dog.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
13 of 20

There has been at least one other post recently where the freelancer tried to scam the client into paying the 20% charged to the freelancer on top of the payment.  Interesting...

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 20

Whenever I wonder why someone like me beats out other freelancers, I refer back to stuff like this and remember that a majority of freelancers aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but they are tools nonetheless.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

re: "It was agreed upon that I pay $50 for the amount of work i wanted done. Then I was told there will also be a Upwork fee of $62.50 on top of the $50.  So that means I would have paid $112.50. So what I am asking is this correct that Upwork charges this fee?"

That's it.

Very simple.

You'll end up getting charged slightly more because Upwork charges you a 2.75% payment transaction fee. But you do NOT make adjustments for that. You pay $50, and Upwork automatically adds that charge.

@Preston H wrote:

That's it.

Very simple.

And I hate my dog.

And I hate my dog.

[OT - who cares what anyone gets paid - you hate your dog? Why have you got a dog? - Preston . . .]

Cherylynne B Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
16 of 20

Sorry I'm still not sure of what it is I am to be charged. 

I agreed to pay US$50 to do my work. we are both happy with this. Then the person I was hiring said I had to pay an extra $62.50 for the Upwork fee. SO DOES UPWORK CHARGE THIS FEE on top of everyone I hire at their agreed rate?

Then on top of this $50 I have to pay a 2.5% credit card fee?

If I have to pay the $50 & the $62.50 do I also have to pay the 2.5% on top of the $112.50?

Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
17 of 20

So, you have agreed on the job for 50$, you shoul pay 50$ + 2.75% fee for transaction, it is freelancer's fault that he/she didn't include freelancer's fee (to be paid) after you send a payment.

If you haven't paid anything and freelancer is asking that you should send 62.5$ to him/her means that he/she will receive 62.5 - 20% (upwork fee) = 50$, but you will spend 62.5$ + 2.75% on this job, which is wrong, cause you initially agreed on 50$, but if you are okay to cover freelancer's fees - than we can't hold you.

But i don't understand why you should pay 50 and 62.5, you should pay either 50 or 62.5 (if you would like to cover feelancer's fee expensions) IF the project you have agreed was around 50$

paying 50$ and than 62.5$ on top of it is a nonsense

Did you bother reading articles through the links posted in this thread?

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
18 of 20

Then this person I was going to hire was ripping me off then???

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
19 of 20

@Cherylynne B wrote:

Then this person I was going to hire was ripping me off then???

Don't really know until you communicate with this freelancer and straighten out any communication that might have bee misunderstood.

This freelancer may have meant that he wants to get paid $50 but in order to do that, he is adding the 20% fee that is charged on his $50 and adding/passing  it on to you. So instead of paying $50 you will be paying $62.(something).

You shouldn't be adding the $62 ONTO the $50.  Some freelancers pass along that fee to the clients and some freelancers take that 20% "hit". And it would be up to you to accept that and fund escrow for just $62 or not accept it and fund escrow for just $50

20 of 20

Ok many thanks. I will communicate again and see if there was a communication breakdown. Thanks to everyone for your replies

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS