🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What means "submit a proposal"
Page options
sherrywang2016
Community Member

What means "submit a proposal"

I am a newbie on Upwork, and not familiar with some items and would like to ask for your help.

When I want to apply for a job, there is a "Submit a proposal" button, what does it mean? Should I submit the rough solution for the job or submit my profile or anything else?

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Xue W wrote:

I am a newbie on Upwork, and not familiar with some items and would like to ask for your help.

When I want to apply for a job, there is a "Submit a proposal" button, what does it mean? Should I submit the rough solution for the job or submit my profile or anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Xue, 

Adding to the links Christine gave you, the proposal is what you write when you apply for a job. In  the first three lines of your proposal, you should tell the client how you can help him or her and why you are the best person to do so. All you need do is to outline a solution, but do not send anything that the client can actually use for the job in question. (Some unscrupulous  'clients' will ask for an actual image or a piece of writing as part of the proposal, and then will disappear)

Those lines are all the client sees before he or she clicks on to the rest of your proposal, so don't waste them on unnecessary greetings or with a summary of your profile. The client will see your profile. Your profile should have enough in your portfolio to convince the client that you are the one they want to hire. 

Don't make your proposal letter too long. 

Good luck

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You should spend a few hours reading about how this website works before you try to submit any proposals. You could start with this link: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Xue,

Christine has given great advice. I would just like to suggest you to read this Help article to find out how to Find Work and how to submit proposals for jobs that you find to suit your skills and experience. Also, Upwork webinars and online events are a great place to find getting started tips and much more. Find out what's coming up next or watch the previous webinar recordings.

Good luck! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

Xue W wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Xue, 

Adding to the links Christine gave you, the proposal is what you write when you apply for a job. In  the first three lines of your proposal, you should tell the client how you can help him or her and why you are the best person to do so. All you need do is to outline a solution, but do not send anything that the client can actually use for the job in question. (Some unscrupulous  'clients' will ask for an actual image or a piece of writing as part of the proposal, and then will disappear)

Those lines are all the client sees before he or she clicks on to the rest of your proposal, so don't waste them on unnecessary greetings or with a summary of your profile. The client will see your profile. Your profile should have enough in your portfolio to convince the client that you are the one they want to hire. 

Don't make your proposal letter too long. 

Good luck

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths