🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What's the best way to submit a proposal ...
Page options
punksten
Community Member

What's the best way to submit a proposal on Upwork?

Hi!

I'm brand new to Upwork and have submitted six proposals. I see that between 20 and 50 freelancers submit to each project and maybe (and I do mean maybe) 2-4 people are selected to interview.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make my proposals rock? I try to make them short, specific, to the point and address what the potential client is looking for.

Thanks so much and I look forward to any feedback that you have.

5 REPLIES 5
christian-uzieyi
Community Member

Hi Randy,

Welcome to Upwork.

In November 2019, my account was like yours. I had similar experiences. Here is how I got my first client. 

1. I looked for clients who were accepting entry-level freelancers. This was not because I wasn't skilled. But since I was new, I needed to build trust (something like social proof) 

2. I provided lots of attachments that serve is proof from previous jobs. 

3  I submitted more proposals. 

Upwork is more competitive now than when I started, You need to be very apt in writing your letters. Ensure you answer all questions asked by the clients. 

I wish you well in your job search. 

Cheers 

Christian

Thanks, Christian. This is really helpful. I'll take a look at your profile I'm sure that will help, too.

Take care and best of luck.

Randy

Randy S wrote:

Thanks, Christian. This is really helpful. I'll take a look at your profile I'm sure that will help, too.

Take care and best of luck.

Randy

You should also lower your hourly rate. When you start getting jobs on Upwork, and can back up your high rates with proof of good work, then you can raise it up again.

Thanks a lot. Do you have any recommendations as to what I should lower it to?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You should definitely have work examples in your portfolio.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths