🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What should I do if I took a wrong job?
Page options
tomliuwhite
Community Member

What should I do if I took a wrong job?

Recently I accepted one offer from a client. After I got this job, I felt that I might make a mistake. I thought my job was to translate from English to Chinese. But actually it requires translating from Spanish to Chinese. I sent one message to the client. I am waiting for his reply. This is my first time to face this kind of problem. So I really need some help. My questions are:
1, what should I or client do? This client is also new on UpWork, he might also not know how to do.
2, how will it affect my JSS?
Thanks!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you took a wrong job, then you should do the right thing.

What is the right thing to do?

Apologize briefly to the client and close the job.

JSS is a secondary consideration.

As a freelancer, if I took a wrong job, then that was my mistake, and I should not be putting my concerns about JSS ahead of making things right for the client.

You asked specifically: "What should I or the client do?"

The client does not need to do anything.

You, as the freelancer, will navigate to the job listing here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

You will click on the contract listing. This will take you to the page dedicated to the individual contract. Then you will click on the "three dots" icon and choose the "End contract" option.

re: "How will it affect my JSS?"

Having a zero-pay contract has a negative impact on JSS.

But how much depends...

You have already completed 17 jobs.

Having one zero-pay contract may affect your JSS very little. You might not even notice.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you took a wrong job, then you should do the right thing.

What is the right thing to do?

Apologize briefly to the client and close the job.

As a freelancer, if I took a wrong job, then that was my mistake, and I should not be putting my concerns about JSS ahead of making things right for the client.

You asked specifically: "What should I or the client do?"

The client does not need to do anything.

You, as the freelancer, will navigate to the job listing here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

You will click on the contract listing. This will take you to the page dedicated to the individual contract. Then you will click on the "three dots" icon and choose the "End contract" option.

re: "How will it affect my JSS?"

Having a zero-pay contract has a negative impact on JSS.

But how much depends...

You have already completed 17 jobs.

Having one zero-pay contract may affect your JSS very little. You might not even notice.

I appreciate the sheer purity of this philosophy of yours, I really do.

But for me, the client's interests and the JSS are primary considerations.

In the event of any conflict between my JSS interests and the client's interests, my JSS would unfortunately have to prevail in that instance.

petra_r
Community Member

JIAN L wrote:
Recently I accepted one offer from a client. After I got this job, I felt that I might make a mistake. I thought my job was to translate from English to Chinese. But actually it requires translating from Spanish to Chinese.

This is one of the many reasons why I would never, ever accept a translation or proofreading contract without seeing the files.

I can't even confirm a final price until I have seen what I will be translating, some texts are easy and quick to translate, some are difficult and take a long time. I charge a different price per word depending on the material.

As Preston said, unless the client has an EN version of the document, all you can do is end the contract.

With so few completed contracts to date, the JSS drop will likely be significant and it's most unlikely that you "won't even notice it!"

oshomojichris
Community Member

Communicate with your client immediately and end the contract if you got a wrong job. It would be fine if the client can give a feedback to reduce the impact on your job sucess. You should end the contract on time and get about 4 more jobs before the next time job sucess would be updated to reduce the impact on your job sucess.

Oshomoji C wrote:

It would be fine if the client can give a feedback to reduce the impact on your job sucess.

I thought feedback on no-earnings contract is no longer of any use, following the recent recalculation of JSS?

Petra, can you repeat that refrain you dropped in the JSS overhaul thread in words simple enough for a Luddite like me to understand? Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths