🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What should I do if my Contract is on hold?
Page options
wpdevs_100
Community Member

What should I do if my Contract is on hold?

Hi,
Every One,

I was really enjoying working for my client but suddenly an email from upwork arrived stating that my current contract is on hold and I should stop working on it untill the issue is resolved, So this happened on Saturday. It is a fixed-price project and my client has also paid for the first milestone and he also funded rest of the ammount. Now my question is what should I do?

1) Should I contact my client to resolve this issue and if I did contact my client and he asks me to keep working on the project and he'll resolve the issue. What should be my position then?

2) If my client can not afford delay's on this project and asks me to log hours manually and keep working on the project and he'll pay me through other means. What should I do then?

3) I Logged my hours on this fixed-price project through upwork team app. Will i still get the already released payment? And what will happen to the rest funded payment?

Thanks.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I was reading other threads about the same issue and other community member/guru were saying that the person who's having this issue should contact their client and ask them to resolve the issue so you can start working on it. So I left a message to the client. sorry if this is a mistake."

Don't worry.

It was not "a mistake" to send a message to the client to ask them to resolve the issue.

It may well have been a good idea to do that.

You are not required to send such a message. But there is no rule against it.

Any time a contract is put on hold, Upwork notifies BOTH the client AND the freelancer. So, officially, the client should already know about this.

But clients can get busy, and they don't necessarily pay attention to every automated message they receive from Upwork. So it is possible that a client could be unaware that their contract is on hold and that they need to resolve the problem with their payment method. So sometimes it could be helpful for a freelancer to send a note to the client.

I have had contracts put on hold by Upwork, due to problem's on the client's end. MOST of the time I have not send any kind of message to the clients. They knew about the problems, and they resolved things... sometimes within a few hours... sometimes within a few days.

But on a few rare occasions, I was working on projects with tight deadlines or reasons that I knew the client would want no delays... and I did send a polite note to the client to make sure they knew that I was ready to resume work - AFTER the contract situation was resolved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
florydev
Community Member

Sanwal M wrote:
Hi,
Every One,

I was really enjoying working for my client but suddenly an email from upwork arrived stating that my current contract is on hold and I should stop working on it untill the issue is resolved, So this happened on Saturday. It is a fixed-price project and my client has also paid for the first milestone and he also funded rest of the ammount. Now my question is what should I do?

1) Should I contact my client to resolve this issue and if I did contact my client and he asks me to keep working on the project and he'll resolve the issue. What should be my position then?

You should not. If you already did you shouldn't have. You should not continue working on it.

2) If my client can not afford delay's on this project and asks me to log hours manually and keep working on the project and he'll pay me through other means. What should I do then?

Unfortunately that is their problem and not yours. They need to resolve whatever the issue is. Taking payments outside of Upwork will likely get your and the client's account suspended. Is this client worth that? If a client were to accidentally pose this question I might talk about suggest that it would not be worth it to me as Upwork is a source of work beyond any one client.

3) I Logged my hours on this fixed-price project through upwork team app. Will i still get the already released payment? And what will happen to the rest funded payment?

Thanks.

Now you are being confusing.  If it is a fixed price job (which I have been confused about since your contract was paused but a milestone was funded) then how/why are you logging hours?  I think there is a chance you are on an hourly job and you should get paid for any hours  you submitted that were properly tracked (screenshots, activity, good memos) and the payment was verified:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068288-Hourly-Protection

• I have no intentions to leave upwork and never will have.

Actually i was reading other threads about the same issue and other community member/guru were saying that the person who's having this issue should contact their client and ask them to resolve the issue so you can start working on it. So I left a message to the client. sorry if this is a mistake.

when i was submitting a proposal for this job there was an options that if i want to be paid as whole for the project or want to convert it in milestone. so i selected the milestone option then submitted the proposal.

re: "I was reading other threads about the same issue and other community member/guru were saying that the person who's having this issue should contact their client and ask them to resolve the issue so you can start working on it. So I left a message to the client. sorry if this is a mistake."

Don't worry.

It was not "a mistake" to send a message to the client to ask them to resolve the issue.

It may well have been a good idea to do that.

You are not required to send such a message. But there is no rule against it.

Any time a contract is put on hold, Upwork notifies BOTH the client AND the freelancer. So, officially, the client should already know about this.

But clients can get busy, and they don't necessarily pay attention to every automated message they receive from Upwork. So it is possible that a client could be unaware that their contract is on hold and that they need to resolve the problem with their payment method. So sometimes it could be helpful for a freelancer to send a note to the client.

I have had contracts put on hold by Upwork, due to problem's on the client's end. MOST of the time I have not send any kind of message to the clients. They knew about the problems, and they resolved things... sometimes within a few hours... sometimes within a few days.

But on a few rare occasions, I was working on projects with tight deadlines or reasons that I knew the client would want no delays... and I did send a polite note to the client to make sure they knew that I was ready to resume work - AFTER the contract situation was resolved.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths