🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What should be done when your client is a...
Page options
colejack22
Community Member

What should be done when your client is a genuine a**hole?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yeasir_arafat_13
Community Member

If your client is very bad and you don't want to continue working for him/her.
Then I think you should stop and end the contract by yourself and get rid of it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
yeasir_arafat_13
Community Member

If your client is very bad and you don't want to continue working for him/her.
Then I think you should stop and end the contract by yourself and get rid of it.

Absolutely fire the client before it gets worse.  (In my experience, it never gets better).  Forget about the potential review/ JSS hit and get rid of him/her.  You are running a business and you sometimes have to make difficult choices.

Thanks a lot Mary 🙂

Thanks a lot Yeasir 🙂

lysis10
Community Member

What should be done when your client is a genuine a**hole?

I usually think "LOL you noob I can so out ahole you."

Thanks Jennifer! I should keep that in mind. 🙂

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Not post about it on a public forum. 

But then, which client? You don't have clients yet. Picture a client contemplating hiring you, and perusing the forum, and reading this. Do you think he would consider working with a freelancer that talks that way?

It is unprofessional, and can cost you clients.  

All joking aside... Here is something to consider:

Some very successful freelancers do a LOT of work for clients who could be classified that way... the clients may be caustic, abusive, unprofessional jerks in other settings... But the freelancers are unaware of this, or mostly unaware of this.

Because due to the professional manner in which the freelancer works with the client, the client knows he can't act that way around her.

I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS EASY...

...but I believe that truly professional freelancers can be shielded from some jerky behavior because:

- Their demeanor is so professional that it encourages the clients they work with to act the same

- They don't tolerate minor infractions, so that the client never escalates to major infractions

- The level of service they provide to the client is so excellent and of such clear value to the client that the client won't risk losing access to that service by offending the freelancer

Thanks Preston

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths