🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What type of work WONT be done?
Page options
3f44ca29
Community Member

What type of work WONT be done?

Im new to Upwork and before I start to place a job posting, I was wondering what ype of work will not be done? What is considered a "no go" that will not be hired for? I have a lot of things I want done and just want to make sure that I dont include anything that someone may think is unethical.

2 REPLIES 2
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Anthony,

Please, refer to Upwork Terms of Use for more information on what's allowed on Upwork and what would be considered a violation.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Let me be an additional person to recommend Forum moderator Valeria's advice:

Just follow Upwork's Terms of Use ("ToS").

Upwork has specific rules about what they allow and don't allow, and that is what matters.

re: "I have a lot of things I want done and just want to make sure that I dont include anything that someone may think is unethical."

Although your sensitivity and thoughtfulness is to be commended, it is not necessarily a practical or workable standard.

There ARE many types of work that are completely ethical and appropriate which are NOT allowed on Upwork because Upwork is one specific platform intended to accomplish certain things very well. Upwork is not a "freeform" message board which tries to do EVERYTHING. For example, you might legitimately (and ethically) grow potatoes and sell those for cash at a local Farmers Market. But Upwork doesn't support that type of activity, and trying to use the Upwork website to do this would be inappropriate.

You should focus on these two things when posting a job:

- What is allowed by Upwork

- What is ethical by YOUR standards

EVERY job posting on Upwork violates the ethical standards or beliefs of SOMEBODY, or the laws of some country or town. In some countries, chewing gum is illegal. Some countries ban exporting powdered baby formula (!). There are millions of people in the world for whom things such as coffee, tea, pork, beef, or even all meat are unethical. For Yazidis, lettuce is prohibited.

But Upwork does NOT ban everything that "someone may think is unethical," nor does it ban everything that is prohibited in at least one village, state, country, church, club, etc. somewhere in the world. If it did that, it could not exist.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths