🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: What was your personal "Ah hah" moment on...
Page options
sean-zeigler
Community Member

What was your personal "Ah hah" moment on Upwork and you started to get traction with client work

Hi All, I am new out here and I have been feeling a bit like I have read all of the wrong advice about how to succeed here. I am wondering if anyone else can share if and when things clicked for them and they began to be more successful on the platform?

SZ

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

I personally never had an   "ah hah" moment because I never had an issue. But I'm not sure what your issue is. Based on your profile you have a number of jobs in progress. I will say that you should change the first couple of sentences of your profile. That welcome message is useless. Clients only see the first couple of lines and you should start right off with what you can do for the client and why you are unique and better than the rest.  Have you read the many threads here where other successful members give profile advice? I'd come through the forums and read those threads if I were you. There is lots of invaluable advice there. 

I see your JSS is only 88%. That's not terrible.   We'd have to get Petra in here to help figure out why it's 88% versus 90% which would get you TR status.  What is it that you are looking to improve? You seem to be landing jobs. Are you trying to improve your JSS? 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
a_lipsey
Community Member

I personally never had an   "ah hah" moment because I never had an issue. But I'm not sure what your issue is. Based on your profile you have a number of jobs in progress. I will say that you should change the first couple of sentences of your profile. That welcome message is useless. Clients only see the first couple of lines and you should start right off with what you can do for the client and why you are unique and better than the rest.  Have you read the many threads here where other successful members give profile advice? I'd come through the forums and read those threads if I were you. There is lots of invaluable advice there. 

I see your JSS is only 88%. That's not terrible.   We'd have to get Petra in here to help figure out why it's 88% versus 90% which would get you TR status.  What is it that you are looking to improve? You seem to be landing jobs. Are you trying to improve your JSS? 

Hey Amada thanks for the reply. I have read quite a bit about the JSS and I am pretty sure I know why it is at 88%. Open projects without billings against them and some errant negative feedback. If there is an issue I have it is based on constantly wanting to do more and better and get more success on Upwork. I meant the post to be more of a philosophical question. I may be in the minority out here but to me there is a difference between getting work and feeling like you have a locked down process that works routinely. I feel like I am new enough that I am still figuring that second part out. Do you think anyone out here ever feels like they have their process figured out? Probably should have asked that question more directly...

Also I am a little late to using the forums so I will go check out the profile advice.

SZ

Sean Z wrote:

Hey Amada thanks for the reply. I have read quite a bit about the JSS and I am pretty sure I know why it is at 88%. 

Do you think anyone out here ever feels like they have their process figured out? Probably should have asked that question more directly...

The 4 jobs without any feedback also caused the 88%.  I assumed you closed these on your own?

In terms of your original question, I have a somewhat solid process to working on Upwork.  I apply to 2-3 jobs a day even if have other projects in progress.  A % of your time should always be marketing yourself unless you are booked at your maximum with retainer/anchor clients.  My hope is to establish ongoing long-term relationships with Upwork clients, but that hasn't happened too much.  Because of the top rated status and continuous marketing I have a steady stream of projects weekly.  Some clients are reaching out before they even post a job.  

I suggest in addition to applying you read up on how others have "made it".  There are facebook groups and blog posts which are incredibly insighful.  

Yep. Those four jobs were closed on my end because the clients were unresponsive to communication after a long period of the projects being left open.

I am following a similar routine to yours and having some success with it. I will take a look for the facebook groups and keep learning. Thanks for the reply.  SZ

Thanks for clarifying your question. I also set aside a small amount of time each day to send proposals. I have a lot of clients off of Upwork, so I only have so much capacity right now for new clients. But there are often good prospects here, so I stay tuned to the job feed. 

When I really started to understand how Upwork worked and how to tell a good client from bad and how to deal with different freelancing issues was by reading the forums every day and hearing how others dealt with certain problems. 

I think a small percent of time to reading different issues on the forums here or other consulting/freelancing forums can lead to a healthy amount of knowledge to avoid certain situations or deal with tricky situations and ultimately help with client satisfaction and good business outcomes. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths