🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Whats the meaning of Job closed or expire...
Page options
peter_shalen
Community Member

Whats the meaning of Job closed or expired?

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm keep getting the mails that the job is CLOSED or EXPIRED. Sometimes I receive the message within 24 hours. How a job post work on upwork? is there any expiry period here? what should I keep in mind while placing the bid?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ahmad H wrote:

If you have applied for a Job and someone else is hired then also Job will be closed and you can see that in your archive proposals.

Jobs are not necessarily closed when someone is hired. That's up to the client. They may leave it open for more hires or just because they don't think to close it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ahmad2474
Community Member

It means that the Job is closed now by client or by Upwork. Actully it could be for certain reasons if Upwork deletes a Job then you will get your connects back. After one month of inactivity on any Job will also cause the Job deletion/Expired.

If you have applied for a Job and someone else is hired then also Job will be closed and you can see that in your archive proposals.

Ahmad H wrote:

Jobs are not necessarily closed when someone is hired. That's up to the client. They may leave it open for more hires or just because they don't think to close it.

I post a job.

I hire a freelancer.

When I hire officially, Upwork posts a dialogue box requiring me to choose between closing the job posting now, or keeping it open.

Every time I hire, I must choose between those two options.

gregorymedeiro18
Community Member

Sometimes people hire someoen locally or off another job posting site. I think they just don´t bother to go back to all of the places they posted the job and close all of those listings. They just let them expire. It would help us if they canceled them.

I have several jobs listed as in progress that are completed because they did not close them out. That can be a double edge sword. People may see it as being good because you are working. Others may see it as you are too buys. I guess that would depend on individual perception and how many jobs that are completed are still listed as in progress.

c_makinde3
Community Member

This is very true. I think Upwork needs to work on this.

Works that are inactive for over 3 months should be closed (in case clients do not come back).

Also, lack of options to close inactive jobs from freelancers end seem to reduce potential of getting new contacts.

Christopher M wrote:

This is very true. I think Upwork needs to work on this.

Works that are inactive for over 3 months should be closed (in case clients do not come back).

Also, lack of options to close inactive jobs from freelancers end seem to reduce potential of getting new contacts.

I think Upwork needs to work on this.

I disagree. They should work on the scams and nothing else for the time being. Also, all of this is in place already, which you should know, right?

1. Contracts expire after 30 days of inactivity.

2. Freelancers have the same option to end contracts as clients have, always had, always will have. 

sspl_rashmi
Community Member

I am an exclusive freelancer at an "agency".

I do not receive "Job is closed" emails.
I see "Job is closed" status of proposals I had submitted at Find Work > Proposals > Archived

I assume it means "Job position stands duly fulfilled".

This is more a note to myself than to anyone, no one waits 3 years.
This is my way of saving my learning here.
Thank you!

nadiasheikh44
Community Member

i am a new freelancer here , today a clink hire me for the job  . i have coomunicated him on telegram linked given by a clint . but then i found job is closed on upwork . should i do that project or not

?? 

Hi Nadia,

Please note that you should not communicate with a client outside of Upwork until a contract is in place, as this is considered a serious violation of the Terms of Service. I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ashishsoodseo
Community Member

I am writing to seek your assistance regarding a recent job that was unexpectedly ended by the client without my knowledge.

To provide some context, I want to clarify that I have not performed any work or initiated the time tracker for this particular job. The client told that she will provide details of the project, which she later shared via transfernow link on email. However, upon accessing the files, I discovered that they were corrupted and had mentioned in my chat on Upwork.

Considering the circumstances, I would like to understand how this situation may impact my job success score. As I have not spent any time on this job, I am concerned about the potential negative impact on my overall performance. I take great pride in maintaining a high job success score and aim to avoid working with clients who may jeopardize it.

I kindly request your guidance and assistance in resolving this matter. I would appreciate any clarification or steps that can be taken to ensure that my job success score remains unaffected.

Hi Ashish,

Thank you for your message. I checked the job you are referring to and noticed the contract was ended by Upwork due to an ongoing investigation on the client's account for a TOS violation. That said, the client is no longer active on Upwork and will not be able to leave feedback on this contract. Please refrain from working or submitting deliverables to this client directly outside of Upwork. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths