cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you get a JSS?

Highlighted
Steven C Member Since: Nov 26, 2016
1 of 8

I am new to Upwork (like 3 weeks) and though things have been going well (multiple contracts, Rising Talent, five-star feedback) I was just wanting to know how long it takes to get a JSS? Also, I know that I will not be top-rated anytime soon since you need like 13ish awesome weeks, so is it better to have a Rising Talent Badge or a JSS? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

You need 4 completed (ended) contracts from at least 3 different clients to get a JSS.

As to whether a JSS or Rising Talent is "better" - that rather depends on the JSS you get....

The JSS updates once every 2 weeks, the next update being tomorrow. You look like you may well get yours tomorrow.

Hint: Check the description of your portfolio item...... 2.5 mistakes in one sentence don't look good on a writer / editor profile.

Highlighted
3 of 8

Thanks so much. I think I have a total of seven contracts right now. Four of them have been completed and rated (all five stars) but they are only from two separate clients, not four. With my open contracts, one has been completed (from a third separate client) but they have not closed the contract and given a rating. The other two are from separate clients as well, but they are ongoing so I do not imagine that I will receive feedback from them for awhile.

I try to stay away from the bottom-barrel work (I have no idea why people accept work for $3/1000), but would it be worth it to take some quick, cheap work just for the feedback, or should I stay with the $25ish/1000 words jobs? 

I don't have much of problem finding clients here on Upwork, though I just don't know if the lack of a JSS is keeping me from the stellar contracts. 

Thanks for your help btw! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 8

@Steven C wrote:

Thanks so much. I think I have a total of seven contracts right now. Four of them have been completed and rated (all five stars) but they are only from two separate clients, not four.

I try to stay away from the bottom-barrel work (I have no idea why people accept work for $3/1000), but would it be worth it to take some quick, cheap work just for the feedback, or should I stay with the $25ish/1000 words jobs?

Don't go for cheap cr*p jobs, they are invariably from cheap cr*p clients who are invariably less respectful and less generous with feedback, so are likely to hurt your JSS more than they will help.

The problem with taking cheap cr*p jobs is that you then define yourself as a "cheap cr*p provider" when clients view your profile.

It's better to go after the decent contracts from the start, they are not harder to win then the cheap cr*p ones, and arguably easier at times as you are not competing with the bottomfeeder providers.

Please change "there careers" to "their careers"

It makes my eyes bleed.

Highlighted
5 of 8

I think I have missed something because Petra R. said: 

I don't think I used any of the "there" homophones in my post or mentioned the word, "careers." Was there another comment that has been deleted? 

I am not super picky about grammar when it comes to an informal forum post like this, but to save you the hassle of someone else calling you out, I think that you forgot a period at the end of your second-to-last sentence. I know that sounds super rude, and I don't mean it that way. I am really just trying to help. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anna G Member Since: Oct 19, 2016
6 of 8

Steven,

You need to get used to the fact that on this Community Forum the Guru members

read the post, very often not to help, but to add irony or pick on whatever they can feed on.

And I am sorry to say that, but majority of them are writers.

I have been reading the Forum for weeks and this is the thing I noticed (and at times, though funny, it bothers me)

Great playground for that, isn't it?

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 8

Steven C. wrote:

I think I have missed something because Petra R. said: 

I don't think I used any of the "there" homophones in my post

Not on your forum post, it was on your portfolio item description. I guess you found it since, considering it has vanished. I apologize for mentioning it, I suppose I could have just let you continue using a single sentence with 2 mistakes (one glaring) as the only example of your skills on your profile...

I am not the one trying to win more contracts at better prices here, so my spelling / grammar isn't really an issue. I was genuinely trying to help, but thanks for pointing out the missing period.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
8 of 8

I think it is actually slightly better to stay at rising talent the first 13 weeks. You won't be top rated until you maintain a score above 90% or rising talent status for 13 of 16 weeks. Also, you have to earn a certain amount of money first, I think it is just $1000 per year. I wasn't quite there in my first four projects but was fairly soon after. I think I had about two weeks where I had a score above 90% but was not top-rated. 

I don't really think it is the be-all either way. The score happens once there is enough information.