🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » When to release final payment
Page options
2af7ccdb
Community Member

When to release final payment

I engaged a freelancer in fixed price logo work. I approved a revision that was satisfactory to me and I released payment.  Is protocol to release payment after I receive source files from my freelancer or release payment and then the freelancer makes the source files available? I've released payment and given positive public review without receiving the source files.  Is waiting a 2-3 days for the source files after payment has been sent reasonable?

4 REPLIES 4
AndreaG

Hi Brad,

You should release payment when you are completely satisfied with the work submitted for a milestone. If the work submitted should've included a source file, we suggest you discuss this with the freelancer.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
2af7ccdb
Community Member

Hello,
If the contract is closed, will the freelancer receive the messages I leave to him in that closed contract?

Brad M wrote:
Hello,
If the contract is closed, will the freelancer receive the messages I leave to him in that closed contract?

Yes. The chat room remains open indefinitely. Clients with long-closed contracts sometimes come back to me for new work and contact me through the chat room from the old contract. 

youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Brad, Just to avoid any potential conflicts, don't close the contract or even release the payment unless you have already received your deliverables and you are satisfied with them.

Here is how it works, I want a logo!
I would hire a freelancer using a Fixed price contract worth $200 in total (For example), then I will break it down into 3 milestones [1. First draft approval ($50)- 2. Rendered submission ($100) - 3. Revision and Final approval + Source file ($50)]. I would activate the first milestone by depositing $50 in the escrow, Then I would release it when I am satisfied with the 1st draft submission. And so forth.

If you don't like the idea of milestones and you want to pay only 1 time ($200), Then you won't release the payment unless you have received everything and you are satisfied. Then you can close the contract and give a review as you please.

I hope this helps!

Youssef

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths