Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

When will Upwork enforce its own TOS?

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
1 of 18

Following a thread that Nikola S. (mod) closed and before being able to answer.
It is not the first time I have commented on any of this, and it will not be the last.

 

I am exactly "up to the nose" of all the "designers" who STEAL the designs of other designers.
I don't know how many of them I have flagged. For stealing items for their portfolio, for selling the deletion of the watermark, for having links to their portfolio or other portals, for copying presentation, for lying.

The last ones I've flagged, I sent them to CS after flagging some up to 5 times.
They replied that they had taken action. I let some time pass, and what happened? Nothing.

 

Asking again, the answer: "the result may not be to your liking however we only take actions on reported user based on our ToS"
They have all gone against TOS in some way.
NO ACTION has been taken.

Result, I find more and more liars on Upwork and it does nothing. Now I have really checked.

 

ADD: As an example, the closed thread freelancer. He boasts of having copied the presentation and some logo. The profile is still open and the mods only make the thread close.
Huge sigh!

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 18

Maria T wrote:

Following a thread that Nikola S. (mod) closed and before being able to answer.
It is not the first time I have commented on any of this, and it will not be the last.

 

I am exactly "up to the nose" of all the "designers" who STEAL the designs of other designers.
I don't know how many of them I have flagged. For stealing items for their portfolio, for selling the deletion of the watermark, for having links to their portfolio or other portals, for copying presentation, for lying.

The last ones I've flagged, I sent them to CS after flagging some up to 5 times.
They replied that they had taken action. I let some time pass, and what happened? Nothing.

 

Asking again, the answer: "the result may not be to your liking however we only take actions on reported user based on our ToS"
They have all gone against TOS in some way.
NO ACTION has been taken.

Result, I find more and more liars on Upwork and it does nothing. Now I have really checked.

 

ADD: As an example, the closed thread freelancer. He boasts of having copied the presentation and some logo. The profile is still open and the mods only make the thread close.
Huge sigh!


It's infuriating. I just responded to a post where someone wondering why he's not being hired got a response from Christine A, who looked at his portfolio, did reverse image searches, and of course found it filled with stolen work. It's all about the bottom line, but I have to wonder how many clients never come back once they've been ripped off by a fake. Clients Upwork cannot afford to lose.

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
3 of 18

Virginia F wrote:
............................


It's infuriating. I just responded to a post where someone wondering why he's not being hired got a response from Christine A, who looked at his portfolio, did reverse image searches, and of course found it filled with stolen work. It's all about the bottom line, but I have to wonder how many clients never come back once they've been ripped off by a fake. Clients Upwork cannot afford to lose.


Christine is being very fast!
I don't know other specialties, but design is riddled with liars.
And they keep showing up, and worse still, they keep allowing them to show up.
Exhausting.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 18

Maria T wrote:

Virginia F wrote:
............................


It's infuriating. I just responded to a post where someone wondering why he's not being hired got a response from Christine A, who looked at his portfolio, did reverse image searches, and of course found it filled with stolen work. It's all about the bottom line, but I have to wonder how many clients never come back once they've been ripped off by a fake. Clients Upwork cannot afford to lose.


Christine is being very fast!
I don't know other specialties, but design is riddled with liars.
And they keep showing up, and worse still, they keep allowing them to show up.
Exhausting.


It's very exhausting, and one of the reasons I've given up on Upwork. There are thousands upon thousands of great, talented, honest designers ... I cannot fathom why every single (fake) profile is accepted in an already bloated category. The only thing being achieved is clients who use this site once and never come back. I see profiles signing up as "data entry" freelancers, but oh, by the way, they can also design logos and brochures and anything else you might need (because they know how to steal).

 

Yes ... exhausting.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
5 of 18

If they won't enforce TOS regarding academic fraud, why would they enforce TOS regarding stolen profiles and fake/stolen portfolio items? Why do they let people "fix" their profiles once they've been discovered? Someone who steals others' copyrighted content and portfolio images isn't going to stop scamming just because they tidied up their profile. 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 18

Amanda L wrote:

If they won't enforce TOS regarding academic fraud, why would they enforce TOS regarding stolen profiles and fake/stolen portfolio items? Why do they let people "fix" their profiles once they've been discovered? Someone who steals others' copyrighted content and portfolio images isn't going to stop scamming just because they tidied up their profile. 


Yes ... this happens across the board and in all categories. Though I do think it's easier to get away with in some categories. It's too bad Upwork spends so much time and effort on nonsense directives, rather than focusing on what the real problems are. Bogus profiles continue to proliferate, unchecked ... and I guess as long as they're making money, who cares?

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
7 of 18

Amanda L wrote:

If they won't enforce TOS regarding academic fraud, why would they enforce TOS regarding stolen profiles and fake/stolen portfolio items?  


In a way this is even worse, because the academic fraud clients are ASKING freelancers to cheat, so at least they're getting what they paid for. The same cannot be said for graphic design clients.

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
8 of 18

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Flagging the profiles and portfolios, DOES NOT WORK.
And less when in response they ask you to attach screenshots and links of the infractions. Yes, of course, and what else?

 

In fact, sending links to the originals doesn't work either.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
9 of 18

As long as deliberately scamming clients is not a ToS violation, it is all up to the clients to make sure they have enough time and money to investigate freelancers and then follow up. The new ToS changes make it even easier for scammers.

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
10 of 18

I already said that I didn't plan to stop drawing attention to this, so here I am back.

 

Since I made the first post, all the profiles that I have marked for violations are still there.
I mark them again every so often, but it still doesn't do any good. And yes, I have them saved so I can control them.


- Why do Upwok allow some freelancers to have in their first line of the presentation the links to their profile in other portals? If it is something that is now allowed, tell me, I could use it very well.
- Why is a freelancer who has sold a stolen logo (and is on his list of jobs done) allowed here? Not to mention that almost everything in the portfolio is stolen.
- Why is it allowed to be sold as an option "watermark removal" if this is an infringement of both the freelancer and the client? If it's okay for Upwork, tell me too, it's an easy thing to do and I could sell it.
- Anyway, why is Upwork overlooking so many infractions that are being reported in the forums and flagged in the profiles? I would like an answer that is not "canned".

 

And for the moderator who is kind enough to answer, please do not ask me to give more information. All of this was sent to CS and, guess what...

 

And I'm only talking about my field, but what you read about the others is maddening.