🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: When would security scan on file upload w...
Page options
7c5ac168
Community Member

When would security scan on file upload would occur?

Hey I am new to upwork and would POST some jobs and messages; I noticed that sometime when I upload a pptx or xslx file it would say sth like "We're scanning your file for..please download later". 

I mean I do understand about the scan but I want to know is this scanning happens on everytime me or others have a file upload? Because sometimes I have some file from client side and I am not sure if I can trust and I would like to get them scanned before posted, is there an endpoint that I can make sure the files are being scanned?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Edisin,

Correct, Upwork has various security tools to check the files that are being uploaded on the platform and block those that can potentially be harmful before they are posted. However, we still encourage users to exercise General Electronic Security and make sure their own devices have proper protection.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hey, thanks for the quick response, my question was when would security scan occur? It seems the security scan won't get triggered everytime I upload a file, its like random check for me; sometimes I upload the same file but get different result(sometimes it just get through but sometimes it says its doing security scan), I would like to ask if you can provide more detail about what would for sure trigger the security scan on files.

Edisin:

It is like when you go to a hotel.

Your hotel room probably has a note pad or some writing paper, and a pen.

But the hotel is not a stationary store.

Upwork provides, as a convenience, some limited functionality for uploading and transferring files.

But Upwork is not a file transfer tool or service.

One of the main goals of its tool is to preserve the safety of the Upwork network and prevent Upwork itself from becoming a vector through which viruses and malware are spread.

If you have any serious needs regarding file transfers, you are not using Upwork. You are using tools that are designed for this purpose and which YOU have control over. Such as FTP, Dropbox, email, courier, Google Drive, WeTransfer, etc.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths