🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Where do I find the client name?
Page options
brian-pickens
Community Member

Where do I find the client name?

Hello,

I'm new to upwork looking through jobs. I'm trying to submit my first job proposal but I don't see the client name anywhere in the posting. Do I have to click somewhere to see it?

20 REPLIES 20
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Client names are never shown before submitting a proposal.

I cant even see them after submitting a proposal .Its happening since last night .

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Brian P wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to upwork looking through jobs. I'm trying to submit my first job proposal but I don't see the client name anywhere in the posting. Do I have to click somewhere to see it?

No, it's not possible to see the client's name. 

yeasir_arafat_13
Community Member

You can find the client's name from his/her's past history (feedbacks/reviews) if there’s any, sometimes the past reviews contains client’s name.

Wouldn't it make sense to include that in the job posting with the client information?

Brian P wrote:

Wouldn't it make sense to include that in the job posting with the client information?

It would, if there weren't thousands of unprofessional freelancers who use that knowledge to track down and hound clients outside of Upwork - Linkedin, their websites, FB, etc. etc.  All that does is make for angry clients.

ETA: And to state the obvious, you don't need their names to submit a bid. Even clients whose names can be found because they've included clues or their website - they don't need to be addressed by that name either. Many companies have someone who posts the job, but that's not necessarily whom you'll communicate with if they contact you.

orwille
Community Member

Very well said Virginia.

I guess this has something to do with addressing the client on the cover letter, I suppose.

bf19b11e
Community Member

Hello!

My problem is that i send 2 proposals to clients but they can't reply me please tell me how can i contact with them through messages because i'm new at upwork and i have no room/people on my account Smiley Sadplease its my request

Hi Ayesha,

Please note that submitting proposals doesn't always guarantee that you will get hired or a chance to be interviewed, but you shouldn't give up on sending proposals to potential clients. When you apply for jobs, make sure your proposal is well written and that you're absolutely qualified and certain of your ability to complete the job you're applying for.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

yes it would help especially since I just read an email on how to write better proposals. if the name is not available would, in my opinion, be an obstacle to trying to customizing my proposal and standing out from the competition. 

I would have to say I don't agree with this advice.  I would not look any more favorably on someone saying:

Dear Mark, in fact I might find it creepy that they stalked me like that.  

If you consider that the first line or at most two you give are the only things the client will see on the review screen unless they click to see more you don't want to waste that on a salutation (IMO).  You should instead write a good hook related to what the client's needs are and how you will fill them.

In an attempt to land your first job on here, you get many advices from people who supposedly have gotten a hack on the secret of landing your first job, hence the need for the initial question on how to find the client's name. They make you feel if you don't go that extra, you wouldn't get a response.
Some of us struggle to land our first client without knowing what we are doing wrong and there are too many advices on the media space.

Writing" Dear Sir / Madam is an obsolete and ridiculous way to address the client but since we've no other alternative on UpWork but to use 'Dear Hiring Manager', Hi, etc.

I find client name how I direct approh to him?

re: "I found a client name. How do I directly approach him?"

Muhammad:
If you see a job posting that you are interested in, you may click the "Submit a Proposal" button to send a proposal to the client.

This process has nothing to do with client names. Forget about client names.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 9.46.07 AM.png

(By the way: If you found a client name and then found a way to directly contact the client, you would be violating Upwork ToS. You could be suspended if you were caught directly contacting the client such as through email, phone, text, etc.)

Hi Muhammad,
That's the whole point behind why clients often post jobs without proper names to avoid being contacted outside of UpWork. Further, UpWork also discourages/not responsible for the consequences of any communication outside the platform. It's for the betterment of all concerned parties (UpWork, Clients & Freelancers). I hope this answer helps you out.
Good Luck.

rafsun_ug
Community Member

There is 50% possibility that you might find client's name in their clien'ts history. 

bf19b11e
Community Member

same .....that's my prblm to

It is not a problem. You don't need the client's name.

0c1177af
Community Member

I could even see the client name after submitting a proposal .I already ask a question but no one is answering .

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths