🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Where do I find work here if I am not a risin...
Page options
sherlock26
Community Member

Where do I find work here if I am not a rising talent or other qualifications?

Hi,

I have been active for nearly three months but most of the jobs I have sent proposals for, show I am not a rising talent, nor do I have a successful job history. That's because I have not had any jobs. 

One client who asked me to submit a proposal because I had the qualifications for the job he wanted done, told me later that he noted I had no job history here. He hired someone else.

Is there a section for us to get jobs without those requirements, or how can we see that in the feed before even trying to go further with any jobs? I can look at all the jobs, but I need the ones that do not have restrictions, which so far, is about 100%.

I would like to work and it seems crazy to not be able to, with all the skills I have. Maybe I am deluding myself. LOL!

Advice would be appreciated.

Best,

Jennifer H.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
allenwatson23
Community Member

Hey Jennifer!

I understand your frustration. I started back in July. At first, I thought I would never get a good job. I sent out about 20 proposals with nothing coming back. I'm sure it was because I wasn't rising talent and I had no job history. Finally there was a job I was a perfect match for and someone took a chance on me. That gave me my first feedback and I've done fairly well since. I'm about 2 weeks away from being top rated.

My suggestion is this - don't give up. Submit the best proposal you can, tailored to that posting. Don't use generic proposals for every one. Eventually, someone will take a chance on you. It may be a lower paying job at first, but if your skills line up with what you say they are and you deliver good work, you will get good feedback. From there it will be easier.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
allenwatson23
Community Member

Hey Jennifer!

I understand your frustration. I started back in July. At first, I thought I would never get a good job. I sent out about 20 proposals with nothing coming back. I'm sure it was because I wasn't rising talent and I had no job history. Finally there was a job I was a perfect match for and someone took a chance on me. That gave me my first feedback and I've done fairly well since. I'm about 2 weeks away from being top rated.

My suggestion is this - don't give up. Submit the best proposal you can, tailored to that posting. Don't use generic proposals for every one. Eventually, someone will take a chance on you. It may be a lower paying job at first, but if your skills line up with what you say they are and you deliver good work, you will get good feedback. From there it will be easier.

You get jobs the same way we all did when we were new.  Your profile should highlight your experience and expertise.  Your submissions should address the needs of the client.  Nobody starts out with Rising Talent or a JSS - those are suggestions, not requirements..  You can submit to any job that you think you can do well.

Thank you, Mary, for your response. I will just keep trying! 🙂

Thank you, Shane, for your response. It's a bit worrying but I will keep trying. 🙂

cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Jennifer,

Aside from Shane's great advise, you may read these articles to help you land jobs here on Upwork:

Submitting a winning proposal

Tips for Boosting your Success

Enhance your profile

You may also want to read this article about avoiding questionable jobs.

Thank you and good luck!

Untitled

Thank you, Ryan, for responding and for the link too!! 🙂

holymell
Community Member

You're not deluding yourself.

I never had the rising talent badge, and I still got work.

You will, too. Took me about two months as well.

Thank you very much, Melissa! I feel encouraged by the responses here. I thought maybe there was another section I should be in, and totally missed it! LOL! I will keep trying! 🙂

sgoble
Community Member

Tighten up your personal statement.   The first paragraph is a feel-good blurb that tells me nothing about your skills.  Consider putting it into a bulleted list of short paragraphs focused on what you did.  Focus on the "surveys from writing questions to the finished presentation for manafement" aspect, but in fewer words.

You say you know how to use various software, but it's not listed as a skill.  Clients will not read your statement hoping to see software. You have to make it as easy as possible for them.  If there are tests for software you are skilled at, take them. 

And for the first couple of projects, look for short projects where your work experience would give you an edge, and drop your price.  (anyone who can cope with kitchen remodelling clients has not only nerves of steel, but the patience of Job)

Hi Stephanie, 

Thank you for your insight on my profile. Will do a rewrite and see if that helps. Thanks!

Love your last statement on kitchen remodels! LOL! It did take quite a bit of patience!

Thanks again!

Jennifer H.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths