🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Where should I say I am? Based in UK but trav...
Page options
fraser_c
Community Member

Where should I say I am? Based in UK but travelling...

Hi,

I'm new to the platform and as yet haven't put any work through. 

I'm seeing jobs which would work for me but often with the caveat that "only those located in the US/ UK" may apply.

My home is in the UK but I'm travelling Mexico right now. These are remote roles which I can manage within a few hours or less a day. Atm my location says UK, but am I in the wrong? I assume people specify the country because they feel more comfortable with people from their own country? And for communication...  

Should I continue to say I'm UK based, or switch to Mexico?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fraser,

If you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. You may need to consult with a legal advisor about it.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
fraser_c
Community Member

Thanks - very helpful. 

I'm here for another few months, but all money will be going via the UK, taxes etc. 

I'll stick to the UK for now.

Cheers

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths