🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Which Better Public or Upwork Users Only
Page options
atiqurrahman88
Community Member

Which Better Public or Upwork Users Only

Hi,

Community, I'm a new member of Upwork, I want to know, which one is better for the public or only upwork user

2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Atiqur,

You can decide whether to have your profile set to public or available to Upwork users only. For your reference, here's what each option means for your profile:

• Public – Your profile will be visible to the entire Internet including clients, freelancers, and visitors. It’s also visible to search engines such as Google and Bing. Use this option if you want anyone with Internet access to be able to view your Upwork profile.
  • Only Upwork Users – Only logged-in Upwork members can find your profile and it’s hidden from search engines.
  • Private – Your profile will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. People who are not logged into Upwork will not be able to access your profile via a direct link. People who are logged into Upwork and have access to your direct profile link will only be able to see your first name, last initial, title, photo, rate, city, and country.

Here's the help article about profile visibility. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Here is my opinion:

You should choose the most public settings possible.

The purpose of using Upwork is to earn money by offering your services to a worldwide customer base of clients. The purpose of the site is NOT to maximize privacy.

ANYTHING you put on Upwork is on the Internet. You could accidentally set your settings to public. Or Upwork could have a glitch. Or a client could copy your information to a blog post or tweet that goes viral.

So I consider the concept of "private" profiles to be illusory. If I am concerned about privacy, I think it is safer to make everything about my profile totally public. And then be mindful about what I post.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths