🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Why Am I Unable To Get A Job On Upwork?
Page options
collinr027
Community Member

Why Am I Unable To Get A Job On Upwork?

Maybe someone will be able to look at my profile and tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong. I have applied for about 20 jobs, and so far all I've only had one interview where the client just stopped logging in or posting anything.

Do I not have enough experience? Is my profile too old? Should I try starting over on a different account? Or is it simply a numbers game where I must continue applying for jobs and wait it out?

Sorry to bug people with this questions, it's just worrying to me.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
65dab6ce
Community Member

Hi Collin,

I think after you've done the best you can do it's simply a numbers game. Competition is stiff on Upwork but don't give up trying. I will also suggest being more intentional and selective of the jobs you apply to. Pay attention to the client's hiring record, just so you spend your connects wisely.

All the best!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
a_lipsey
Community Member

Personally, I think your bio section needs work. I would open with the line about how you work, about not tampering with their vision, etc. The other stuff is more philosophy, and I'm much more interested in what you're like to work with versus some kind of philosophical statement about video editing. Also, I would put some examples of the kinds of videos I edited in the text bio. I see you have samples on the portfolio, but I would mention some of your previous gigs so clients can get an idea of the different kinds of content you have worked on. 

It's not a bad profile. I wonder if it's your proposals not coming across well? Are you proposals geared towards what you can do for the client or your philosophy about video editing? 

Those are some good suggestions. I will work on my bio now.

Typically when I send a proposal to a client, I try and tailor my experience to their specific needs. For example, in a recent proposal a client asked for examples of work that had high engagement on YouTube, so I directed them to a video I made that has over 8,000 views and is one of the most popular videos on the site for that product.

Is that a good approach? Trying to make a personal connection and addressing the need they are asking for specifically? Or should I simply be trying to send them my previous work that I think they would be impressed by?

I think it's a good approach. I think there's a balance between touting your skills and accomplishments and tying that back into what they want to do. You may just be going through a lull. It happens. I think some of the other forum members who have been around longer might have some ideas too. 

65dab6ce
Community Member

Hi Collin,

I think after you've done the best you can do it's simply a numbers game. Competition is stiff on Upwork but don't give up trying. I will also suggest being more intentional and selective of the jobs you apply to. Pay attention to the client's hiring record, just so you spend your connects wisely.

All the best!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths