🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Why I am not getting job?
Page options
bonbons
Community Member

Why I am not getting job?

Hello!

I have got rough issue which I am trying to fight almost a month. Do
ing my best, reading posted job, trying to understand clients requirements and needs before even dialog started. Sending custom cover letter every time for every job. And still 14 of submitted proposals 0 interviews. Even can not get an inteview!

I know that jobs I am trying to get, always got more than 50+ applications. Due to this high amount of applications it is very difficult to get the job when you don’t have a lot of completed orders. It seems the only way  to get work and not be banned is set hourly rate 2$ / h and work for food and 
live on the streets, using free wifi to work

I found people with stories like mine, and they got:

Our decision is based on a careful review and the fact that you have submitted a high number of proposals for jobs on our site without many contracts or earnings. Unfortunately, this means the jobs posted by clients are not a good match for your skills

So even with skills like mine or even better, they were banned forever...

I really need some help, advices, because i have almost all of my connects. 

My prfile is private, because i was not making money for 1 month. Here is photo of profile

joxi_screenshot_1526664274463.png

15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

Your profile is set set to private. There is little we can do to offer you specific advice.

We can only suggest that you use the Subject search box and look for other threads that have already discussed your question.

Because i was not making money for 1 month

Added photo of profile.

bonbons
Community Member

joxi_screenshot_1526664274463.png

Is that your profile page?

It looks like a laundry list.

Thank you for your response,  if you think this is an issue, i am gonna clear it. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Andrey,

Profiles are set to private if the freelancer doesn't earn on Upwork for longer than 30 days. However, there are a few easy ways to have the visibility reset. I went ahead and reset your profile visibility for you. Please, log out and back into the Community so other members could access your profile from your Community page.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you very much, it is done.  

sergio-soria
Community Member

Hey Andrey, don't get discouraged! I know it's hard but it's not impossible. First of all, if you are depending on this, if you are desperate, that's a red flag! This is not for people who don't have any kind of income and are starving... You need to have a lot of patience here.

I can't really see much of your profile in that picture, I believe it's too big and the system reduce it. And at the moment I am typing this your profile is still private. All I can see is that you were hired a couple times already and has a portfolio. That's good, but what made me frown is that looooong overview right there. Man, you should shorten that right away! No-one has the time to read all that, especially clients who receive 50 proposals. You also took many tests, but if you have some with average or less than average score I would suggest that you hide those, and also display only tests that are relevant to what you do. I actually don't know what you do so I can't tell.

Don't waste all your connects in one day applying like crazy to everything you see. You must select only the jobs that you know for sure you can do perfectly, and just forget those that have +50 proposals already. You may be applying in an overcrowded area. Finally, don't you ever bid $2 or you will be identified as a "cheap worker" and it's terrible to get over it. You will also find lots of scammers trying to take advantage of you.

Be more selective in your searches and good luck!

Andrey, there is nothing wrong with your profile, in fact it's pretty good. You have a Rising Talent badge and a good feedback already.

You just need patience now and perseverence. You'll get there, I'm sure.

Grit your teeth and keep doing what you are doing. Don't give up!

Hello, thank you for your reply. 

1 - i reduced info in my profile about stack and tech i used or using.

2 - i am rising talent

3 - has real live projects in portfolio

4 - tests are really good 

joxi_screenshot_1526678887263.png

5 - i am trying to apply for a job that most suits my skills

6 - it seems that everyone seniors and experts in php and js here, so i do not know, if job requried level expert and has 50+ where should i apply than? 2 backs bids has much more submitted proposals. Maybe i am really not suit for upwork market and audience, and i should try other platform or place.  

7 - i spendig slowly, because as i said, i am reading every proposal, and writing cover letters, so spent a lot of time already. It takes about 10-25 minutes to fill cover for specific job. Still as i said, beeing ignored absolutely.

8 - i am not desparate, i can get permanent ban in 10-20 more proposals if they will be ignored like this

yitwail
Community Member

My advice is concentrate on Laravel jobs for now. Make that your specialty because only a minority of PHP developers are familiar with Laravel. Even if you see 20-50 applicants for a Laravel job, I doubt many of them have completed a Laravel job at Upwork like you have.

Hi Andrey,

Now I was able to read your profile. It's good you reduced text in your overview. However, there is a contradictory and negative line at the end. You warn people not to contact you if they need CMS stuff, and immediately after you say "Feel free to contact me." The client might think "Hey, can I contact this guy or not?" Saying "Please, DO NOT write me about any CMS like Wordpress or else." sounds really aggressive. I understand you because I hate CMS stuff too LOL but at the same time, you mention WordPress quite a bit in your employment history and experience. I bet this makes the Upwork algorithm place you together in a group of people who do CMS stuff. "WordPress" works as a keyword in your profile so my suggestion is to get rid of paragraphs containing that word if you hate it that much. Besides, if people read in your profile that you have experience with that it's obvious they will contact you. Eventually if you receive an invitation about that just decline the offer clicking on the option that says you are not interested and that's it. You don't need to be harsh in your overview.

And I don't think you will be banned if your proposals are ignored. Your connects are renewed monthly. If you don't get a job within 30 days your profile turns private and you stop appearing in searches but a client who receives a proposal from you can still see it. And switching back to public is pretty easy anyway. It's not that you are banned from Upwork forever (unless they changed the rules recently and I am not aware of).

Again just be patience. We all have been there. You can try other freelancers platforms of course, they are more or less the same, it's actually better if you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

До свидания

Hello, thank you for your reply. Removed harsh and WordPress experience. About ban, there are a lot of topics like this

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/My-friend-just-got-banned/td-p/456390

sargios
Community Member

me too sometimes I choose only job offers that contained attached task and I complete a part of this task and send attach it with my proposal so the client can be sure that I will complete the job successfully and no response from the client or even a review !!!!

some times I doubt that the client can't see my proposal at all

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths