🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Payment verification shows error
Page options
warfieldlason
Community Member

Why I can't accept my offer after I verified my ID?

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 10.51.19 AM.png

As you can tell, I successfully verified with my government-issued ID, and when I was going to accept an offer, it popped up a window that required me to verify ID???

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 10.58.38 AM.png

???

The problem is, this verification only restrict to US government-issued ID. That's very unfriendly. 

I don't understand why it requires the US ID to verify again? If Upwork doesn't accept non-US people do freelance work, just say it at first and I won't spend so much time on it.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem or have the same issue as me? 

7 REPLIES 7
warfieldlason
Community Member

Hi there, 

I look back at my payments set up, it requires me to verify again, but the verify page shows error 🤷‍:female_sign:

Here's the error number: 

error [65dd0626585739c6-SEA, 65dd0626585739c6-SEA].

Is there a help center or email address I can directly shoot an email to? There are a lot of verification issues which is very frustrating. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.13.14 AM.png

Lige Y wrote:

Hi there, 

I look back at my payments set up, it requires me to verify again, but the verify page shows error 🤷‍:female_sign:

Here's the error number: 

error [65dd0626585739c6-SEA, 65dd0626585739c6-SEA].

Is there a help center or email address I can directly shoot an email to? There are a lot of verification issues which is very frustrating. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.13.14 AM.png

You can contact CS at the question mark at the bottom right.
When "get support" appears, click and a ticket will be created.

Hi Lige,

I checked and it looks like there are two different verification processes pending on your account right now. The one you can access here refers to Verifying Location for US Only Jobs, and the one you see in your Settings > Get Paid is to verify your payment method. You can check your bank statement for two small deposits made by Upwork to your Bank Account and enter them there to complete verification.

If you're seeing errors please try clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with a different browser and let us know if the issue persists.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the detailed rely. 

I don't think the US-only job verification is a kind user experience, and hope there's a substitute solution for it. 

I have lived in the US for 6 years with SSN but I didn't hold any US government-issued ID. I could have to apply for a State ID in advance, but Upwork didn't have any reminder or notification before I sending a proposal that will require me to submit this document. 

Now I'm facing an awkward situation that I have 3 offers, but I can't accept them before I verified my real ID. And it's so hard to apply a real ID during Covid 19. It also takes 2 months to receive my real ID.

I spent time writing proposals and communicating with my clients; my clients spent time and trust sending offer to me after interviewing several candidates. However, our contracts can't start because of a verification problem that could be avoided ahead of time.  In this process, both my clients and I haven't got a good experience. 

From my point of view, the problem of Upwork is trying to design as an active free work platform, but there are too many unnecessary restrictions that haven't clarify in advance.  For example, I saw a lot of people met verification mismatch problems like me because Upwork didn't tell people that profiles have to be real names.  What's more, if Upwork told me US only Jobs need the US ID verification in advance, I wouldn't send proposals before I receive my state ID.

Therefore, I hope there's a kind solution for taking the offer issue. For example, extend the verification period like identity verification, or restrict money withdraw before verification. 

Thanks for following up, Lige! I'm sorry your experience has been frustrating, it is completely understandable. I've followed up with the team regarding the verification you've already completed and you should be all set and have access to US-Only jobs. 

Please try to accept the offers one more time and let me know if you experience any other issues,

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea, thanks for fixing this. I don't know why I was required to verify my identity again today. Does it mean I need to go over all the processes again? As you see I just verified it two months ago.

Hi Lige, while we do try and limit the number of times we ask freelancers to verify, we sometimes require verification more than once. This is part of our ongoing effort to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients. Apologies for the inconvenience it may cause.

I can see you were also able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths