cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are jobs closed?

Highlighted
Lauren H Member Since: Apr 28, 2019
1 of 8

When a job is declared as “closed” does this mean that the client has pulled the job from Upwork, or does this mean that the client has simply hired someone else? Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Lauren H wrote:

When a job is declared as “closed” does this mean that the client has pulled the job from Upwork, or does this mean that the client has simply hired someone else? Thanks.

Yes. It could mean either of those things. And I'm adding some extra information here because Nichola's response is encouraging me to be more precise. 

This is what I see in my "archived" section:
Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 5.39.50 PM.png

1) Job is Closed = the client has hired another FL (your connects will not be returned)

However, clients don't always close jobs after hiring. So it's possible that  a job will still appear in your active proposals list after the client has hired someone.

Edited even further to add: It seems that clients can also close the job to further proposals while the job is still open. This could jobs that are listed as closed but still appear in your active proposals pile.

2) Withdrawn by Client = client has pulled the job without hiring (in this case, your connects will be returned)

3) Expired = the post has expired because the client has been inactive for 30 days (in this case, I think your connects are returned, but someone has assured me that I must be imagining this)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Lauren H Member Since: Apr 28, 2019
3 of 8

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Highlighted
Ronni V Member Since: Dec 21, 2015
4 of 8

Why doesn't Upwork show you what project was closed? I

f the client has pulled the job from Upwork, do I still lose the connects? Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 8

1) You get your connects back if Upwork pulls the job because the client has violated the ToS. 

2) You get your connects back if the client cancels the job and does not hire anybody.

Highlighted
Ronni V Member Since: Dec 21, 2015
6 of 8
Thank you.
Highlighted
Abdullah A Member Since: Mar 29, 2018
7 of 8

"When a job is declared as “closed” does this mean that the client has pulled the job from Upwork" 
-- yes.

"does this mean that the client has simply hired someone else?"

-- No

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 8

Abdullah A wrote:

"When a job is declared as “closed” does this mean that the client has pulled the job from Upwork" 
-- yes.

"does this mean that the client has simply hired someone else?"

-- No

No. When a job is declared closed, this does not necessarily mean that the client has pulled the job from Upwork. It  means that the client may have hired, or closed the job to further bids. If you have bid on a job that is cancelled by the client (or Upwork) i.e. no job at all for anyone, then there is usually a message from Upwork to tell you.