Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Why are there so many scams posted on Upwork?

Active Member
Maiteng M Member Since: Feb 5, 2019
1 of 8

I've applied to more than 10 freelance jobs on Upwork and they all ended up to be a scam. Wanting to send me a check to buy work equipment, interviewing over Google hangouts, using fake profile pictures, etc.. I'm tired of this stuff. Nothing seem to be real these days. 

 

Also I need to know how to revise my profile up a little bit to prevent getting declined from clients. Anything helps. Thank you.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2 of 8

Maiteng M wrote:

I've applied to more than 10 freelance jobs on Upwork and they all ended up to be a scam. Wanting to send me a check to buy work equipment, interviewing over Google hangouts, using fake profile pictures, etc.. I'm tired of this stuff. Nothing seem to be real these days. 

 

Also I need to know how to revise my profile up a little bit to prevent getting declined from clients. Anything helps. Thank you.


No, not all jobs are scams, but newbies are the prime target. 

You need to set your profile to public for it to be seen here. 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
3 of 8

Because there are so many newly registered freelancers who have no experience and are completely unprepared to recognize and avoid the scams. UW is not a controlled environment. They let most anybody in who can fog a mirror, on both the client and the freelancer sides. Scammers abound here, just like they do outside the platform. It's a grand mishmash of the lazy, the clueless, the expert, the professional, the crooked, the straight, the dabbler, the full-timer supporting a family, the less experienced, the greybeards. Clowns to the left of you, jokers to the right.

 

Learn the ToS, so you'll know what is and is not permitted. If you haven't freelanced before, read all you can about it, there's much to know that is independent of UW. Get familiar with the information offered in the Help and Support section and the helpful articles pinned to the tops of these discussion boards. Browse the discussions and learn from others' mistakes and experiences. And always, be prepared and inclined to learn from your own mistakes because you will make some. We all do. The goal is not to make the same mistake twice.

 

Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
4 of 8

- Send me your Skype ID and we'll send you a secret brief. It's to protect our very valuable client !!!
- You just have to order on Jeff Bezos's world of wonders our new hammock, leave a comment and then, send us back our product. Good pay and 5 stars are guaranteed!!!
- First, we will do a test and if it does not fit our standard, you will not be paid...
- Please send us 3-4 articles to see if you can meet our high expectancies
- Thank you but 0.01$ per word is too expensive. Would you considered another option?
- We're on a budget here but you can expect fast turnaround and long term relationship
- PERFECT FOR BEGINNERS!

(...)

The first two weeks, I was like "wow, scammers are everywhere." and I've lost some connects too. There is still plenty of them but now I don't use anymore connects for them.

But there is also many good offers (and also lot of competition but that's another story...)

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8

re: "Why are there so many scams posted on Upwork?"

 

Because Upwork is the industry leader. It is the best freelancer work platform, and thus it attracts the most freelancers. Unfortunately, that means it also attracts the most scammers.

 

The good news is that experienced freelancers are not targeted by scammers. I never encounter scammers in my own work. I only read about them in the Community Forum. Scammers want money. They know that targeting somebody who is experienced in using Upwork is a waste of their time.

Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
6 of 8

@Preston
The problem is that often, the job post seems legit. Previous comments from freelancers are generally good (I’d love to work again with Lord Scamendish...) and therefore, freelancers are likely to submit a proposal. And then comes the scam... But the wasted time and the connects won’t come back.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
7 of 8

Yazid M wrote:

@Preston
The problem is that often, the job post seems legit. Previous comments from freelancers are generally good (I’d love to work again with Lord Scamendish...) and therefore, freelancers are likely to submit a proposal. And then comes the scam... But the wasted time and the connects won’t come back.


I think (but can't verify) that most scammers come in the form of invitations, which newbies should be very cautious with. It is just unreasonable to expect an invitation to be legit if you don't have a history and a not very serious looking profile. 

Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
8 of 8

Martina P wrote:

 

I think (but can't verify) that most scammers come in the form of invitations, which newbies should be very cautious with. It is just unreasonable to expect an invitation to be legit if you don't have a history and a not very serious looking profile. 


The invitation ones are the most obvious and I decline the most of it. My « bad experiences » come from jobs which were listed on my feed. Each time, my doubts came from nice  comments about the client and a good overall evaluation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS