🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Why are we required to have a profile picture...
Page options
annie_maclean
Community Member

Why are we required to have a profile picture?

I really don't want to post my picture on my profile, why is this mandatory? It makes me feel uncomfortable.

I realize that clients would prefer to see your picture, but I am fine with building my reputation slowly, without a picture. 

I think we should have the ability to become a freelancer without a picture if we wish, afterall, is the beauty of working for yourself the ability to make these kinds of decisions.

5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis
Community Member

Annie M wrote:

I really don't want to post my picture on my profile, why is this mandatory? It makes me feel uncomfortable.

I realize that clients would prefer to see your picture, but I am fine with building my reputation slowly, without a picture. 

I think we should have the ability to become a freelancer without a picture if we wish, afterall, is the beauty of working for yourself the ability to make these kinds of decisions.

I agree. However, if you sign up (as a freelancer) with Upwork, you have to abide by Upwork's Terms and Conditions and having a pic of yourself (no one else or any logo or avatar) is mandatory. At some stage you will also be asked to do a video verificatation to prove that you are who you are and that you live where you say you do.  

I can appreciate all of that, but I still don't think it's necessary. I can understand them wanting to ensure authencity of an Freelancer, but possibly they should revise their terms to have a way to verify directly between Upwork and the Freelancer, without having those credentials shared publically. 

Annie M wrote:

I can appreciate all of that, but I still don't think it's necessary. I can understand them wanting to ensure authencity of an Freelancer, but possibly they should revise their terms to have a way to verify directly between Upwork and the Freelancer, without having those credentials shared publically. 

Annie,

What you think is not important to Upwork, and they are certainly not about to change their terms because you don't like them. 

As to credentials, if you have any social media accounts anywhere else on the Internet, you can forget privacy, as you can always be found and probably with a whole lot of details about yourself that you never even provided. Way of the 21st century! 

yeasir_arafat_13
Community Member

Annie,
A profile picture is mandatory, it must be an actual photo of yours. Otherwise, it would violate Upwork TOS (terms of service).

Annie:
The good news is that you are already discussing this subject in the correct place.

MANY things on Upwork have changed due to the discussions we have here in the Community Forum.

Upwork has many employees it pays to serve as moderators in the Forum, and also people it pays to montior discussions and report back to executives.

There is nothing wrong with suggesting changes or ideas to Upwork, including this one.

As long as you keep separate:

- how Upwork functions now

- what I would like Upwork to change

...you'll be fine.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths