🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Why can't I contact customer service dire...
Page options
belete-lidiya
Community Member

Why can't I contact customer service directly?

Day one on this site, and I am filled with regret for having ever joined. I have tried several times to submit a photo of my ID, but this site won't accept it. Not sure why, since my ID is accepted by all government agencies on a daily basis. I am also really concerned by the fact that they would ask users to submit something as personal as my ID, but then make it nearly impossible for me to reach their customer service department to ask a question. It is not lost on me that they make money off of any potential work I may do on this site. That's their entire business model - making money off of the work of other people. I don't understand why they don't treat the people who make it possible for them to make money with a little bit more decency and service. Without freelancers willing to use UpWork (as opposed to the countless other platforms that do exactly this work), what good would this site be? They would just be another job board. What an incredibly frustrating and discouraging way to be introduced to a service. Does anyone else find this even a little bit unsettling?

4 REPLIES 4
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Lidiya,

I responded to your original post about this here.

~Nina
mtngigi
Community Member

@Lidiya B wrote:

Day one on this site, and I am filled with regret for having ever joined. I have tried several times to submit a photo of my ID, but this site won't accept it. Not sure why, since my ID is accepted by all government agencies on a daily basis. I am also really concerned by the fact that they would ask users to submit something as personal as my ID, but then make it nearly impossible for me to reach their customer service department to ask a question. It is not lost on me that they make money off of any potential work I may do on this site. That's their entire business model - making money off of the work of other people. I don't understand why they don't treat the people who make it possible for them to make money with a little bit more decency and service. Without freelancers willing to use UpWork (as opposed to the countless other platforms that do exactly this work), what good would this site be? They would just be another job board. What an incredibly frustrating and discouraging way to be introduced to a service. Does anyone else find this even a little bit unsettling?

Well, Lidiya, most emplyoyers in the real world make money off the work of other people, too. Upwork allows me to find a client base much broader than I could find on my own, and that makes it much more than a "job board". For every one client there are thousands of freelancers, so there's no concern about clients being able to find what they need if one of use leaves.

Understand that if Upwork provided in-person customer service for the millions of freelancers on this site, our fees would have to be raised, and none of us wants that. There's plenty of help, from here in the forums, to opening a ticket, to live chat support once you become a top-rated freelancers.

ID verification has become an important step in the process because there have been and are, a lot of sleazebag freelancers scamming clients left and right. If this doesn't work for you, you're correct, there are plenty of other sites out there, but not a one of them is trouble-free.

Heaven knows I am not now, nor have I ever been, an apologist for Upwork. Nonetheless, I am struck by this plaintive bit of obvious pique in the OP's post:  "That's their entire business model - making money off of the work of other people."

I simply have to ask:  How else, just exactly how else, do you imagine or propose that Upwork make its money??? (Should they set up needlework lessons on the side? Arrange for children's parties and donkey rides? Start an apiary?)

@Janean L wrote:

Heaven knows I am not now, nor have I ever been, an apologist for Upwork. Nonetheless, I am struck by this plaintive bit of obvious pique in the OP's post:  "That's their entire business model - making money off of the work of other people."

I simply have to ask:  How else, just exactly how else, do you imagine or propose that Upwork make its money??? (Should they set up needlework lessons on the side? Arrange for children's parties and donkey rides? Start an apiary?)

Thanks for putting it more bluntly than I could bring myself to, Janean.

To the OP: As Janean points out, we all have our frustrations with some (many) of the ways Upwork conducts it's business, but for those of us who have perservered and learned to make it work for us, it's been worth it. I have found the most wonderful clients to work with here, and for that I am grateful.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths