🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Why clients who bid high offers always se...
Page options
cumbytwice
Community Member

Why clients who bid high offers always settle for less?

Hello,

I am pretty new to Upwork, although I have been here for several months. Uptil now, I haven't been employed once. I told myself the reason for this is that my profile wasn't updated enough, that I didn't have enough experience and that I didn't even have a job success score.

All that has changed in the past few months, I have worked hard on building my Upwork profile and have been applying for many jobs. Which is why I have encountered the problem of a lot of clients bidding a high price while they expect you to bid for a much lower price. The problem I have with this is that higher bids require more connects to apply. Hence I may use up four connects for a job that is worth two, simply because the job is offering $100 whereas they know they will choose a freelancer with the lowest bidding. Not only does the client save up a lot of money, but quite a bit of it goes to Upwork. This means that the only person not to benefit in the situation is the worker themselves...who then has to invest in getting more connects.

I find it unfair that clients offer a high price in their proposals even though they know they have no intention of paying that amount. It's like clickbait...and it costs to the one who is actually in need of employment.

I hope this will be adressed as soon as possible. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

I assume nothing based on stated budget.  Perhaps the prospective client was feeling strong that night.  Perhaps they simply want to send a strong notion: they have money.  Some have a lot of money and do not feel uncomfortable making sure those who need to know - know it in spades.

Use a counter strategy.  

1. Bid a milestone upfront of $10 to $50 with the demarkation of "Placeholder". 

2. Then have some fun and test their metal:

"The budget you indicate is extensive.  Thank you for letting me know you have budget to expend that is reasonable and you will not be a nickle-and-dime client.   That is more budget than I could possibly expend so I have provided a placeholder to allow me to establish communications."

Then be stronger even still....

"Based on your listing, there is not enough information to provide a realistic project scope. Thank you for letting me know there is room to do so. I need more information to prepare my quote.  Those who provide fixed fee bids right now are guessing and guessing is exactly the wrong way to start a project. I start the process by a personal video conference arranged through the Upwork facility. What is the next best step for you?".

This is a simple tactic.  In poker, we call it "Calling the bluff".   I love it when someone is tempted to push all their chips out on the table and I know I have a stronger hand.

They need a freelancer more than I need them.

Play into your power.  Call their bluff.  The weed out the weak from the strong.  Some folks have a ton of money and just like to make sure folks know it, so they in turn understand.  They are really, trutly, not screwing around and playing games.

Maybe she-he is one.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
lysis10
Community Member

To trick freelancers into bidding. I avoid ridiculously high budgets for this reason.

Jennifer M wrote:

To trick freelancers into bidding. I avoid ridiculously high budgets for this reason.

You mean that $1,000,000 job that I bid $500,000 on wasn't for real?

Richard W wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

You mean that $1,000,000 job that I bid $500,000 on wasn't for real?

I undercut you and bid $499,999. 😄

I may be new in this community, but I am not naiv enough to believe that every ridicilusly high offer is real. My complaint was that is costs me too many points to apply for such jobs that don't even include ridiculous offers, but still don't have any intention of paying anything close to their offered budget. 

If a freelancer is expected to be honest, why is not the same expected from the clients? We end up investing a lot more into this (time, energy, and with having to pay for points for job proposals we'll never get, money!), and yet the reason I came here in the first place was to earn something. 

I would check the history; if they paid a lot the deal is very likely ot be real.

It is very true that the clients play a more dirty game. To post a scammy  job is very easy and risiko free. To do the job implies a lot of risiko with this cynic review system. Cynic because I see more reviews than work to show in many profiles. My testemonial is my work and if YOU want it; period.

I want protrection of creative freelancers; creative work deserves to be paid honestly. I never saw a composer who scams money; we just want honest money. If you create an audiobook but cant pay well for the music, dont hire a composer! I never hired a composer!

kind regards

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Jennifer is one of Upwork's most successful and prolific freelancers.  When she provides counsel, it is wise to listen.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

I assume nothing based on stated budget.  Perhaps the prospective client was feeling strong that night.  Perhaps they simply want to send a strong notion: they have money.  Some have a lot of money and do not feel uncomfortable making sure those who need to know - know it in spades.

Use a counter strategy.  

1. Bid a milestone upfront of $10 to $50 with the demarkation of "Placeholder". 

2. Then have some fun and test their metal:

"The budget you indicate is extensive.  Thank you for letting me know you have budget to expend that is reasonable and you will not be a nickle-and-dime client.   That is more budget than I could possibly expend so I have provided a placeholder to allow me to establish communications."

Then be stronger even still....

"Based on your listing, there is not enough information to provide a realistic project scope. Thank you for letting me know there is room to do so. I need more information to prepare my quote.  Those who provide fixed fee bids right now are guessing and guessing is exactly the wrong way to start a project. I start the process by a personal video conference arranged through the Upwork facility. What is the next best step for you?".

This is a simple tactic.  In poker, we call it "Calling the bluff".   I love it when someone is tempted to push all their chips out on the table and I know I have a stronger hand.

They need a freelancer more than I need them.

Play into your power.  Call their bluff.  The weed out the weak from the strong.  Some folks have a ton of money and just like to make sure folks know it, so they in turn understand.  They are really, trutly, not screwing around and playing games.

Maybe she-he is one.

John, I thank you for your time.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Some prospective clients use "click bate" to weed out the contractors who do have the capability to expend a few dollars or cents of whatever connects it requires to respond and not feel it.

Some prospective clients use their wealth to weed out the weak.  Others are just playing games.

Our job is to figure out which one they are and have the resources necessary to do something called, "put the ante in the game".

To play in the rich hand, one must have the ante.  Yet there is common sense applied and often one loses the ante.

Poker is a good game to learn.  It works wonders in understand how to bid responses and play the game to win.  Having the ante to play the game is job #1 of a freelancer.

Just remember: in job listings that have top dollar amounts.  You have a guaranteed advantage.  Potentially unwise freelancers will guess at scope and that is walking up the wall, just asking to be nailed to it with the placeholder-bid strategy. Nail them to the wall.  Each time, every time, and be ready to pony up the ante to get into the game.

Then make sure you come across as an experienced business person who, most surely, plays the game but will not be played with.

These are advanced techniques to be used with caution.  Not every tactic works everyone, all the time, in each situation.  Common sense prevails.

John.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths