Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Why do clients not give new freelancers a chance?

Highlighted
Active Member
Hasna K Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
1 of 17
Hello everyone,
I'm a new freelancer on upwork and i'm a highly skilled and qualified person in my domaine looking to get a chance in here.
However i'm living currently my worst nightmare on this platforme as i'm seeing alot of new people with potential and so much to offer (and i'm not only talking about myself) being "ignored" or not given the chance they deserve to prove themselves. Instead all the credits go to top rated freelancers (who might have less to give than the new ones looking to estabilish themselves)
Now i understand that there might be new freelancers who are unqualified, and have a bad profile or don't nail their proposals... etc but i can garentee you that there are even more talents that go unseen because they don't have the "top rated" Badge and a 30k+$ on there profile.
So i would like to see things from a client's perspective, do you give new talents a chance? Or do you make a quick evaluation based on blue Badges and earnings?
Now i know a client probably doesn' t care about the whole new talent/ equality of chances thing, and he just wants his job done by who "upwork standards" define to be the best.
But for those of you who care to be fair let us change this mindset which is crushing alot of dreamers under it's heavy weight.
I'de like to know your thoughts about the matter.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 17

re: "Why do clients not give new freelancers a chance?"

 

Clients do give new freelancers a chance.

 

Every successful freelancer here was a new freelancer once.

Every freelancer who has earned $20,000, or $50,000, or more than $100,000 once had a total earnings number of zero.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 17

As for you personally, here's your problem:

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 7.44.57 AM.png

 

Active Member
Hasna K Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
4 of 17
Hello Preston,
Thanks for the reply.
If clients do give new freelancers a chance then i didn't experience that, may be it's because of what you adressed.
I appreciate the advice and i'll work by it.
Ps. I'm not attacking clients, i'm simply trying to understand the problem.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 17

With all due respect - the main problem is not that you are new, it is that you are advertising yourself as a translator when you are a doctor, not a translator.

 

You may speak several languages, but that does not make you a translator any more than owning a scalpel makes me a doctor.

 

If you need any proof of that, have a native German look at your "German Translation" which is no more than horrific word salad.  I have no idea if your translations into other languages are any better, but you must never, ever, try to translate into German again.  This is right up there with the worst translations I have ever seen.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 17

Petra R wrote:

 

 

If you need any proof of that, have a native German look at your "German Translation" which is no more than horrific word salad.  I have no idea if your translations into other languages are any better, but you must never, ever, try to translate into German again.  This is right up there with the worst translations I have ever seen.


I just had a look at the French translation of a fashion article Hasna has in her portfolio. Hasna is not a native speaker of French despite what she claims and she definitely cannot translate into French.

 

Yes, the article was a fun read for her French is shaky like heck, but one of these days, Hasna will stumble upon a client who is a native speaker of French. And there is so much a full refund to a POed client can do for your JSS...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Active Member
Thorsten L Member Since: Jan 20, 2019
7 of 17

Hello Presna.. I have the same problem being ignored as a basic freelancer. I I registed 3 month ago and regurlarly apply for jobs but only got luck once. Very strange..

Is there something wrong with my profile? I want as least 3 jobs before upgrading to freelancer pro..

Thanks

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 17

Thorsten L wrote:

Hello Presna.. I have the same problem being ignored as a basic freelancer. I I registed 3 month ago and regurlarly apply for jobs but only got luck once. Very strange..

Is there something wrong with my profile? I want as least 3 jobs before upgrading to freelancer pro..

Thanks


 Set your profile to public, otherwise nobody can have a look at it. I can only see your picture and it is really hard to make out what is on there, so it would be a good first step to use a better, professional profile pic. 

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
BEST ANSWER
9 of 17

Hasna K wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm a new freelancer on upwork and i'm a highly skilled and qualified person in my domaine looking to get a chance in here.
However i'm living currently my worst nightmare on this platforme as i'm seeing alot of new people with potential and so much to offer (and i'm not only talking about myself) being "ignored" or not given the chance they deserve to prove themselves. Instead all the credits go to top rated freelancers (who might have less to give than the new ones looking to estabilish themselves)
Now i understand that there might be new freelancers who are unqualified, and have a bad profile or don't nail their proposals... etc but i can garentee you that there are even more talents that go unseen because they don't have the "top rated" Badge and a 30k+$ on there profile.
So i would like to see things from a client's perspective, do you give new talents a chance? Or do you make a quick evaluation based on blue Badges and earnings?
Now i know a client probably doesn' t care about the whole new talent/ equality of chances thing, and he just wants his job done by who "upwork standards" define to be the best.
But for those of you who care to be fair let us change this mindset which is crushing alot of dreamers under it's heavy weight.
I'de like to know your thoughts about the matter.

 I think a new freelancer with a snappy profile, a great portfolio, excellent skills and a nice profile pic will always be successful and find his niche.

The one thing that always works is the willingness to deliver excellent results, and the introspection and self-awareness of knowing what one is really good at. Any person with these attributes will be successful here, 100%!

That being said, again, please remove that portfolio piece where you butchered the German language beyond recognition. It does not serve you well. Don't assume translation is easy because your client does not understand the end result, anyway. Many employ a second person for proofreading, and this is where you get awful feedback that sends your JSS into the ground. 

 

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
10 of 17
Spoiler
Hi Hasna,

I would make my profile more to the point. Clients don't wan't to know about your life, they are only interested in what you can offer.

Besides, now that you have done your first few jobs, please don't accept really low paying jobs just to have a job, it doesn't look professional.

And remember, we've all had a terrible time getting our first jobs on Upwork, it's to be expected as there is a lot (too much?) competition, here.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS