cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it necessary to publish my graduation date in my profile?

caroldd
Carol D Member Since: Dec 30, 2018
11 of 27

I too do not like having anything to do with my "age" showing anywhere.  Discrimination is most often not overt but subtle in that they take one look at your profile, see you are older by seeing the dates of graduation or employment history, and keep moving on.  That is reality.  It's not anything they would actually write for fear of lawsuits, but is very real in the bypassing of you for someone younger.  

I have not told anyone my age since I was 23!  Simply because it is too easy to pigeonhole a person by their own preconceived notions and experience of what a person of X age is and can or cannot do.  Stereotyping and discrimination because I am a woman is bad enough, I don't want to add age to that also.

In the brick and mortar world, it is illegal to ask a person's age or race before hiring.  The only thing that an interviewer can do is make a note during the interview on what he observes regarding race.  Which is what happens with the requirement to have a headshot on the Upwork profile.

I don't want to be bypassed because they 'think' I am too old for the job without considering my other qualifications.  Age really has nothing to do with the jobs posted here.

donald-price
Donald J. P Member Since: Dec 1, 2017
12 of 27

Carol D, I couldnt agree more.

I know I promised Valeria K that I would go away and I had almost forgotten about my original post of a year ago, however this is a pressing civil rights issue. Thanks to you Carol D and others the issue is getting some attention. I am still waiting for an official explanation for Upwork and their legal department as to why they think age discrimination is a good idea on Upwork, particularly if its not allowed anywhere else in the US. 

Discrimination is illegal and isn't allowed in HR departments and shouldn't be allowed here in cyberspace. Upwork doesnt require people to identify their gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, but somehow age discrimination is ok?

I am a card carrying member of AARP and know that this organization lobbies congress and state and local governments advocating for Senior Rights and ending age discrimination. Why would Upwork invite this kind of legal scruitiny. The fix is simple; either end potential age discrimination or face potential legal consequences. 

Useful links for anyone (Including Upwork Management):

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/discrimination/agedisc

https://www.aarp.org/work/employee-rights/info-02-2009/age_discrimination_fact_sheet.html

donald-price
13 of 27

I kindly thank everyone for their thoughts & opinions. I know my graduation date is required. I will learn to live with it or not.  I just thought I could get a straight answer. 

One last time. I will go away after this, I promise. I thought my question was quite simple.

Why? What is the reason?

I live in a democracy (or so I am led to believe... LOL) I believe in questioning authority when it is reasonable to do so.

Kind regards,

Don

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
14 of 27

Don,

We want to build and maintain trustworthy and transparent marketplace on Upwork. Typically our testing and surveys show that they more clients know about the freelancer's professional background, the more likely they are to hire them. That's why we are asking freelancers as much information about their education and experience as possible.

I'll also forward your feedback and concern to the team.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

donald-price
15 of 27

Thank you Valeria!

I appreciate the answer and I appreciate the offer to forward my concerns to your team. I would be thrilled if you could keep us posted. 

Just a thought though, based on the logic about providing hiring folks as much information as possible about the freelancers education and experience as possible, I would add "if I were King" that the freelancers age is 40+ and has 10 to 20+ years of experience. That should more than suffice, no?

Lets keep everyone honest.

Thanks again!

Don

jasonmhowe
Jason H Member Since: Dec 23, 2018
16 of 27

jasonmhowe
Jason H Member Since: Dec 23, 2018
17 of 27

This is a major sticking point for me. Asking someone's age in a job interview is illegal, and asking someone's graduation year is tantamount to asking their age. Please remove the requirement of having to enter a graduation year. I'm not sure I want to complete my profile because of it.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
18 of 27

@jason H wrote:

This is a major sticking point for me. Asking someone's age in a job interview is illegal, and asking someone's graduation year is tantamount to asking their age. Please remove the requirement of having to enter a graduation year. I'm not sure I want to complete my profile because of it.

Honestly, I think you're giving this too much weight. I don't believe clients scroll down that far to look at education and work history, and if they do, so what? What they see in the first few sentences of your overview and your skill title are more important. Your photo is an obvious give that "spring chicken" days are over (same here), but my hair color hasn't stopped clients from hiring me. And I may be wrong about this, but I don't believe you have to list every school or job. Go back to the '90s and call it good.

There are other things we hate on our profiles more - those maps for instance.   Apparently Upwork woke up and smelled the privacy coffee ... I'm happy to see that the map is gone. Guess I missed the announcement.

It's just not going to change, no matter how many times we ask. Upwork pretty much ignores the majority wishes of it's freelancers, no matter how in the wrong we think they might be.

ETA: There are millions of us freelancers here, but not of clients. Not finishing your profile because of this issue is not going to give Upwork pause, sorry to say.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 27

@Virginia F wrote:

There are other things we hate on our profiles more - those maps for instance.

What maps? Smiley Wink

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
20 of 27

@Petra R wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

There are other things we hate on our profiles more - those maps for instance.

What maps? Smiley Wink

Is this a Christmas miracle? When did this happen?

Yes Virginia, there are no maps.

Guess I need to look at my profile more often. Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS