cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why is my profile not being accepted?

Kelsey C Member Since: Jun 27, 2017
1 of 4

I would like to begin contracting with Upwork, and I'm trying to submit my profile so I can begin applying to various jobs.  I have many skills, including programming in C++, Java, SQL, HTML, CSS, and other related items.  I also am an established musician and I would like to do audio engineering with the people on upwork, as well as piano composing.

What specific steps can I take to make sure my profile will get accepted and begin contracting?

Thank you so much for your help!
- Kelsey Cameron

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 4

Hi Kelsey, 

I checked your profile and would recommend that you focus on a job category instead of offering two different set of skills on your profile.  That way, your clients know that excactly what it is you have to offer them. If you would like to focus on music, make sure to add samples of your compositions on your portfolio section so that clients can listen when they review your profile. 

Since you are new, I'd suggest that you check these freelancer resources we compiled to help you improve your profile, and get started on the platform.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 4

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Kelsey, 

I checked your profile and would recommend that you focus on a job category instead of offering two different set of skills on your profile.  That way, your clients know that excactly what it is you have to offer them. If you would like to focus on music, make sure to add samples of your compositions on your portfolio section so that clients can listen when they review your profile. 

Avery, while your advice is appropriate for the great majority of freelancers, can't an exception be made for individuals who are gifted in 2 different fields? Take Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, for instance: though his reputation is mainly due to his philosophical writings, he also invented calculus and designed calculating machines. Or for a contemporay example, there's Joni Mitchell, celebrated singer and guitarist who's also an accomplished painter. Kelsey has a computer engineering degree, plays 3 instruments, and her music is featured in iTunes. Why can't she offer both musical AND software services?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 4

Hi John,

To clarify, users can include multiple skills on their profile, especially if they are in related fields, but due to the fact that clients are looking for professionals in a certain field, freelancers have a better chance of wining a job if they advertise only their core skills.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS