🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Why is there an UpWork process using memo...
Page options
b_jeppesen
Community Member

Why is there an UpWork process using memory when all apps on PC are closed?

My PC was running very slow with a great deal of delay between mouse clicks and apps opening/closing, etc. In preparation to restart the PC, I manually closed every open application. Just out of curiosity, I launched Task Manager and see that UpWork continues to use memory despite "closing" the desktop timer and message window. Why? what is UpWork doing in the background if I have closed the apps? See screen shot.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
florydev
Community Member

Because it doesn't really close but instead collapses down into the hidden icons.  If you want to close it, close it, you have to click down there and click exit.

Capture.PNG

This is not really an Upwork problem but a Windows problem in that this allows you to make the app go away but still run in the background.  For example, Skype works the same way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
florydev
Community Member

Because it doesn't really close but instead collapses down into the hidden icons.  If you want to close it, close it, you have to click down there and click exit.

Capture.PNG

This is not really an Upwork problem but a Windows problem in that this allows you to make the app go away but still run in the background.  For example, Skype works the same way.

Thanks, that makes sense. Only issue I have is, I don't have an icon upon which to click and exit. I have the app pinned to the task bar and the app itself has an X to close, but as you've noted, it does not close. Right clicking in the app shows an option to Close, but it is just another version of the X. I see no option from the app itself to exit.

Also, just noticed, the UpWork icon does not appear in Hidden icons.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bill,

Could you please try Troubleshooting tips shared in this help article.  If the issue persists, please report it following ''How do I report a problem?'' section of previously shared Troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Also that number in the task manager is misleading because that is the amount of memory reserved to the application. It’s very likely that about it is using is way lower and if Windows needs it, it would take it back.
That is the best explanation I can give without being super tedious (which I would be happy to do).
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths