🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Profile Picture for Muslim Niqabi Women
Page options
salmageek
Community Member

Why must I upload a photo with my face?!

Dear Upwork community,

I've started to work as a freelancer recently and was looking forward to build up my reputation here on Upwork. But I was really disappointed by the fact that you require a face recognized photo in order to complete the profile.

As you may know, here in Arab countries many girls cover their face,  so I think the fact that we can't work because of this simple issue is really frustrating. 

I can't see any reason that I can't work with a profile photo like this one for example:

 

29793775_878821545631839_5271133789521707008_o.jpg

 

 

I'm already working on other websites with profile photos wearing the Niqab (face cover) and customers where having no problem with that at all.

I hope you take into consideration girls like me who want to start earning money by themselves.

Regards,

Salma Hassan

64 REPLIES 64
73538001
Community Member

No submit button, how to proceed?

Hi Samar,

 

Upon uploading your chosen profile picture, you should see a button that says "Attach photo" on the bottom right corner of the pop-up screen. 

759e32fa_0-1697992650162.png

 

Kindly clear your browser cache and cookies then try uploading your photo again. If the issue persists, please let us know.


~ AJ
Upwork

Please help me I am unable to upload a profile photo in veil. It creates problem for me to get start work on upwork

Hi Rimsha,

 

I checked and it looks like we already enabled you to upload your picture with a veil once. Do you need to change your picture? If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

 

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Thanks a lot, it works now. I have successfully updated my veil profile photo.

Hi Ayesha,

 

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your request.

 

Thank you for reaching out to us.  

~ Bojan
Upwork


@Melissa T wrote:

Oh, Salma, this is a tricky one, right? I'm all for you earning your own income. I'm all for women all over the world, however they choose to present themselves, earning their own income. But, the rules of this platform are that you have to show your face in your profile photo. The "human element" in online freelancing is an important one for various reasons: the internet is largely impersonal and work is very personal, being able to see the face of the person with whom you are working brings the project from the anonymous internet into the realm of actual work done by actual people, it engenders trust. While your niqab in no way makes you less human, it does cover up a very defining human feature - your face. It's the same reason freelancers are not allowed to use profile photos in which they are wearing sunglasses - they visually obscure the face and serve to conceal identity. 


 

I totally understand your point of view and I'm not against it. I would like my customers to build trust in me too of course. But It doesn't make sense to give up one of my beliefs in exchange to that right?

Like I said, there are lot of "more reliable" methods to verify my identity without having to upload a photo of my face, like verifying my idenity and face with my National ID through customer support or something like that (like I did in other websites) instead of posting a public picture to all people.

Thanks for your reply and respecting my way of representing myself.

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Salma,

Please see our response about a similar question in this thread, and to confirm what Petra stated, our support team can assist you with being able to upload your photo while wearing the Niqab.

~Nina

 


@Nina K wrote:

Hi Salma,

Please see our response about a similar question in this thread, and to confirm what Petra stated, our support team can assist you with being able to upload your photo while wearing the Niqab.


 Oh! This is really great!

So I have to contact the customer support and verify my indentity with them?

Because I was actually trying to reach them in the first place, but I've got redirected to post a thread instead and I don't know why.


@Salma H wrote:

 


@Nina K wrote:

Hi Salma,

Please see our response about a similar question in this thread, and to confirm what Petra stated, our support team can assist you with being able to upload your photo while wearing the Niqab.


 Oh! This is really great!

So I have to contact the customer support and verify my indentity with them?

Because I was actually trying to reach them in the first place, but I've got redirected to post a thread instead and I don't know why.


CS isn't available to all freelancers at the same level. Often, newer freelancers are directed to threads and articles rather than CS mostly due to volume issues - literally millions of freelancers with millions of issues. You can imagine, I'm sure. 

 

FWIW, I respect your choice to present yourself however you choose. You may find some clients don't care at all what someone's profile photo looks like while others factor photos into their opinion whether they do it knowingly or not. That's just life, though. What's definitely not OK is if anyone harrasses you or is threatening in any way. I certainly don't expect that to happen and don't mean at all for this to sound dire, just a reminder that those things are not tolerated and offenders should be reported. 

And in the interests of a balanced world... there will be some clients who will care about the photo in a way that it works to Salma's advantage.  


@Melissa T wrote:

@Salma H wrote:

 


@Nina K wrote:

Hi Salma,

Please see our response about a similar question in this thread, and to confirm what Petra stated, our support team can assist you with being able to upload your photo while wearing the Niqab.


 Oh! This is really great!

So I have to contact the customer support and verify my indentity with them?

Because I was actually trying to reach them in the first place, but I've got redirected to post a thread instead and I don't know why.


CS isn't available to all freelancers at the same level. Often, newer freelancers are directed to threads and articles rather than CS mostly due to volume issues - literally millions of freelancers with millions of issues. You can imagine, I'm sure. 

 

FWIW, I respect your choice to present yourself however you choose. You may find some clients don't care at all what someone's profile photo looks like while others factor photos into their opinion whether they do it knowingly or not. That's just life, though. What's definitely not OK is if anyone harrasses you or is threatening in any way. I certainly don't expect that to happen and don't mean at all for this to sound dire, just a reminder that those things are not tolerated and offenders should be reported. 


 Thank for you reply. I totally understand.

So all I have to do is to wait until the CS reach me out first, right?

Yes, it sounds like from the thread Nina pointed to that Lena explained CS will reach out because the auto-recognition triggers a manual response if the photo fails that part of the verification. You'll likely get an email about it with next steps to take. 

Okay then. Thank you all for helping me out.

I really appreciate your quick responses!

salmageek
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Six months ago, I've posted a thread here in the community about my ID verfiction and face recognition thing  in the profile picture. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Why-must-I-upload-a-photo-with-my-face/td-p/479369

I've been told through the replies that Upwork do have exceptions for women in my case and that someone will reach me out through custoemr service. But nothing happend since then! 

So I'm hoping someone could help me out this time.

Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Salma,

 

I apologize for the delay in answering your request. I've followed up with the team about your concern and they’ll reach out to you directly as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
salmageek
Community Member


@Bojan S wrote:

Hi Salma,

 

I apologize for the delay in answering your request. I've followed up with the team about your concern and they’ll reach out to you directly as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.


 That would be great. Thank you.

salam, salma did you get some solution?

sa1441
Community Member

Assalamu Alaikum Salma, may I know what happened? Were you able to upload the photo with niqab?
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sakinat,

 

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your profile photo. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
florpaiva
Community Member

Are you using that in your Id card too?

ckerry
Community Member

I have SEVERE anxiety disorders and am on permanent SSD to the point that I don't leave my home more than twice monthly in order to avoid interacting with people. I explained this to customer numerous times. I've uploaded my current state Driver's License... I've offered to pay out-of-pocket to have a notary public come to my home in order to verify my identity yet that's not sufficient. Their "compromise" is to have me hold up a paper with my username and send them a selfie. They do not seem to understand that this is one of the problems at the very core of my anxiety issues!!!

 

If they only wanted to me to verify my identity... that I truly am who I say that I am, why would a notary not be sufficient??? There's something really wrong here and this requirement is sounding more and more prejudiced/discriminatory than anything else. I wish I were the type of person who could just let this go, but I am not.

 

Other than the (completely understandable) religious coverings, has anyone had similar issues?

Hi Christine,

 

We are sorry to hear about this. Please bear with us as this may take a little time to get information since we’re waiting on a response from another team. We appreciate your patience and will update you as soon as possible.

 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christine, 

I apologize for the delay as we had to follow up with another team. I can confirm that a member of the team has reached out to you through your open support ticket with Ticket #29814148 to assist you further with your account verification. Kindly refer to the ticket and don't hesitate to update the ticket thread if you have further questions about your concern. 

Thank you for your patience.


~ Avery
Upwork
helal-mhu
Community Member

Peace be upon you. As it is Upwork's rule, you may ask the support if you can replace the image with a Niqab Photo once the verification process is done.

 

I hope they will give you a solution for this.

 

Regards,

M.Helal

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths