🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Why must I upload a photo with my face?!
Page options
salmageek
Community Member

Why must I upload a photo with my face?!

Dear Upwork community,

I've started to work as a freelancer recently and was looking forward to build up my reputation here on Upwork. But I was really disappointed by the fact that you require a face recognized photo in order to complete the profile.

As you may know, here in Arab countries many girls cover their face,  so I think the fact that we can't work because of this simple issue is really frustrating. 

I can't see any reason that I can't work with a profile photo like this one for example:

29793775_878821545631839_5271133789521707008_o.jpg

I'm already working on other websites with profile photos wearing the Niqab (face cover) and customers where having no problem with that at all.

I hope you take into consideration girls like me who want to start earning money by themselves.

Regards,

Salma Hassan

66 REPLIES 66
jtxga
Community Member

Sad to hear that, but i'ts upwork policy, you will need to follow their rules if you want to work here.

you will need to show your face on profile picture or else they might suspend your account.

salmageek
Community Member

I think this is a really weird requirement to work here. I mean there are many ways to prove one's identity, and uploading a face recognized photo is the most unreliable one of them. I can easily pick any photo online and upload it as my profile picture, and no one would probably know!

@Salma H wrote:

I think this is a really weird requirement to work here. I mean there are many ways to prove one's identity, and uploading a face recognized photo is the most unreliable one of them. I can easily pick any photo online and upload it as my profile picture, and no one would probably know!

That's also against the rules here. You can easily Google search any image. People have had their accounts suspended for using a profile photo that was of someone else. The photo isn't to prove your identity, per se. It's to show who you are. That's a subtle distinction, but it's an important one. 

I'm sure that requiring a photo of your face seems weird to you, just as it would seem weird to me to cover my face. But, this isn't about what anyone thinks is weird or how anyone chooses to present herself, it's about the rules of the platform. 

Salma, Upwork Support will work with you on this, don't worry!

mthornton-cpc
Community Member

Oh, Salma, this is a tricky one, right? I'm all for you earning your own income. I'm all for women all over the world, however they choose to present themselves, earning their own income. But, the rules of this platform are that you have to show your face in your profile photo. The "human element" in online freelancing is an important one for various reasons: the internet is largely impersonal and work is very personal, being able to see the face of the person with whom you are working brings the project from the anonymous internet into the realm of actual work done by actual people, it engenders trust. While your niqab in no way makes you less human, it does cover up a very defining human feature - your face. It's the same reason freelancers are not allowed to use profile photos in which they are wearing sunglasses - they visually obscure the face and serve to conceal identity. 

No, there have been exceptions made in the past for women who wear the niqab.

See this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Profile-picture-approval-help/m-p/428714

A profile picture wearing a niqab IS allowed - but you'll have to verify your identity.

Salma, I'm flagging your post to bring it to the attention of a moderator.

I'm relieved to learn about the exceptions for niqab - thanks Kim and Petra. My info was based on old knowledge (I recall a very old thread, maybe even elance era). Let's hear it for progress!

Hi Can I upload my image with niqab??

Hi Nida,

Yes, feel free to upload your image with niqab! If you need any further assistance, reach back to us and we'll gladly assist you accordingly.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
d49c7933
Community Member

I created a new account just now but I want to upload my profile picture with niqab, as I wear a veil. Can you please guide me on the procedure for this so that I get approved?
lyba97
Community Member

Hi I am facing tbe same issue. I wear niqab and I am having problem in uploading the profile image. Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Hi Lyba,

I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem uploading your picture. Can you please try again now?

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
lyba97
Community Member

Okay. Let me try
lyba97
Community Member

Thanks. It worked..
977ce24e
Community Member

Which type of picture should we upload on up work?

Hi Ayla,

Upwork’s Terms of Use require that you accurately represent yourself. This includes having a profile picture that looks like you. Your profile picture should accurately reflect who you are, and it should look like you. It should be a close up image with a focus on your head and shoulders, and clearly show your full face. You can check this help article for more information. 

If you need to cover your face for religious purposes, we can add a religious exemption to your profile to allow you to upload a profile photo that covers your face.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi dear, 

could u also help me in this regrad also?

Thanks a lot

Hi Ayesha,

Please share more details on how can we assist you. Also, please keep in mind that each user needs to upload a photo of them self. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I think it's clear what Ayesha wants, considering where she's chosen to post.

She wants assistance in uploading an appropriate photo with her wearing a niqab so she'll need Upwork to verify her identity.  Someone needs to make direct contact with her.

You are abosultely right. I need help. Is there anyone to help me pls?

Hi Ayesha,

Our team will resend the ticket again and assist you further. You can access your tickets on this Link, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes pls. i am waiting 

Hi
Your team has sent me a ticket and I have successfully uploaded my hijab profile picture. But now I want to know that my profile is accepted or not. 

Please help me in this regard. 

Hi Ayesha,

Just to confirm that your application haven't been submitted for a review, if you`re ready please go to the bottom of the page and click on Review Application.
If you`re directed back to the same page please try clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with another browser. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes please, just now I have created my account In which it is mentioning to upload the whole face photo. May I know how should I upload my profile photo with niqb?
Please look into this .
Thanks

Hi Syeda,

Please try to upload your photo now and if you experience any problems on your end, let me know here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

please help me how did you upload your profile image with naqab??? I am unable to do so.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rooma,

We're sorry for the inconvenience this caused to you. One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your request.

Thank you. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

ok i am waiting

Hi Upwork Community,

I need help in uploading my profile picture with face cover(naqab) . I cover my face & i want to add my picture with covered face as upwork profile image. but upwork is not allowing me. I was searching for the solution of this problem from many days. but did not get any solution.

Anyone please help me in this regard

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rooma,

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect one of our agents to reach out to you directly via support ticket as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks alot Bojan 

g_mutie
Community Member

I have a professional photo with sunglasses i would like to upload as my profile picture. How should i go about it?
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Geoffrey,

You can update your profile image at any time by going to your profile > hover over your image > click on the pencil case. You can also check out our blog post about: A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
d49c7933
Community Member

I created a new account just now but I want to upload my profile picture with niqab, as I wear a veil. Can you please guide me on the procedure for this so that I get approved?
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Safa,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please try again to upload your profile photo with niqab. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
d49c7933
Community Member

Thank you.

How about now, Is this picture okay?

Do I need to further verify, so that I may not ruin my chances of getting approved.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Safa,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to upload your profile photo. At the moment you are not required to complete any verification process. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification process in the future.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Samar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We have added a religious exemption to your profile. You can try again and you should now be able to upload a profile photo that covers your face. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths